glossing gone wrong help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im new to this site and new to DIY. i have a serious issue on my hands. I have undertook a big job on painting my raw wood banister and hand rail. after priming under coating and sanding untill wood was solid white. i decided high gloss onblack on my handrail. after x2coats ive noticed lots of drips and pull marks in the gloss which i do not like and doesnt give a smooth finish. question is do i have to sand right back when second coat fully dry then reapply, light sand and apply again. any info would be greatly appreciated and excuse my stupidness when it comes to painting

Sponsored Links
harliegirl, Im only commenting on this as I (and most other people) relise that you don't quite know what you're doing....

OK, as patronising as that sounds, its actually not meant in a bad way..
you simply need someone to show you how to do it (a little difficult to get the information across to you in a forum)

ok, you should have sanded it back to the wood, then undercoated it.

then using fine sand paper, sanded the undercoat smooth.

then used a cloth and many other things to remove the dust.

when you paint with gloos you need to have "a technique" to do it.
it behaves very differently to emulsion, which you can just slap on.

the first way to apply the paint is to get it on, spread it out and bit and then slowly smooth it out.

getting the right amount of paint on is important. this is why decorators get paid for it... because there good at it (supposed to be)..

once the first coat is on, then leave it to dry in normal room conditions, and apply the second coat the next day.

once again, "getting the feel" for the job is the key.

this can take a lot of practise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back