Glow worm 30 cxi pressure fluctuation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a glow worm 30 cxi, about 4 years old, the pressure dropped the other day below the cut off limit and the boiler cut out, this is because there is a slight drip on the safety discharge and over quite a period of time it eventually loses its pressure. anyway, after filling it back to just over 1 bar it started to go wrong, the pressure display started jumping all over the place from 1 bar to 2.5 bar and it sounds like the flu fan is having short bursts, it does this for a couple of minutes then works fine for 5 10 minutes then does the same? I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong with it and any help would be greatly appreciated, I wouldn't want a cowboy coming round trying to rip us off. This boiler is the absolute worst in the world, i though having a good name boiler would be brilliant but we've had about 4 internal leaks and now this! thanks steve. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I have a glow worm 30 cxi, about 4 years old, the pressure dropped the other day below the cut off limit and the boiler cut out, this is because there is a slight drip on the safety discharge and over quite a period of time it eventually loses its pressure. anyway, after filling it back to just over 1 bar it started to go wrong, the pressure display started jumping all over the place from 1 bar to 2.5 bar and it sounds like the flu fan is having short bursts, it does this for a couple of minutes then works fine for 5 10 minutes then does the same? I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong with it and any help would be greatly appreciated, I wouldn't want a cowboy coming round trying to rip us off. This boiler is the absolute worst in the world, i though having a good name boiler would be brilliant but we've had about 4 internal leaks and now this! thanks steve. :cry:

Don't give up on your Glowworm they are a very good boiler when installed correctly and serviced regularly?? You will probably find that your pressure sensor has gone up the suwanee. You will need to replace the pressure relief valve aswell to stop the leaking?? I would suggest you do these two items first as they are fairly cheap?
one of the best things about your boiler is that there is a history memory
program built in to this boiler and by pressing the mode button and following a few simple steps, that you will find in the manual it will tell you if there is anything else wrong with it?
hope that helps :D

Quote:- I wouldn't want a cowboy coming round trying to rip us off.
Well call someone who is familiar with these boilers.Ask if they are confident with Cxi's.Have you had it regularly serviced?......... :confused:

would the pressure sensor cause the flu fan to run for 2 mins in short bursts though whilst the pressure is bobbling around?

Sponsored Links
this problem is intermittent and i did think of the pressure sensor first (looks easy to change too) or the flu fan? I have no experience of boilers though so any input is great. when its working running hot water goes from 1.5 bar up to 2.1 then when its not doing anything and in standby its 1.1 bar sometimes 1.0 thanks so far

pcb replaced and working fine, not cheap though. ahab36 how can you say glow worms are good boilers, this is my first glow worm and i've never had so many problems. in 4 years i've needed to fix 2 leaks on the plate to plate heat exchanger replaced the leaking flow switch and z pipe, had a leaking condense off the main exchanger and the filter in the z pipe snapped off not to mention the costly pcb i've just had to get. and to top it off glow worm technical charge an absolute fortune to ring. never ever again will i own glow worm, it is a piece of junk, all ive read since trying to find the fault is how crap they are, which is exactly what the guy who fixed it said aswel

Doesn't this boiler have a 5 year warranty these days? (I have an older one of these, but I think it was only 2 years then.)

I had a water leak too, but GlowWorm themselves identified this as a known problem on these machines and came out to repair it foc (I didn't even have to call them.)

Ok, even if it isn't still covered by a warranty, the list of faults you've experienced sounds unreasonable. If you could be arsed - which most people ain't - you could sue them in the small claims court. It is clearly not of reasonable quality.

pcb replaced and working fine, not cheap though. ahab36 how can you say glow worms are good boilers, this is my first glow worm and i've never had so many problems. in 4 years i've needed to fix 2 leaks on the plate to plate heat exchanger replaced the leaking flow switch and z pipe, had a leaking condense off the main exchanger and the filter in the z pipe snapped off not to mention the costly pcb i've just had to get. and to top it off glow worm technical charge an absolute fortune to ring. never ever again will i own glow worm, it is a piece of junk, all ive read since trying to find the fault is how crap they are, which is exactly what the guy who fixed it said aswel

My brother bought a house last year with one fitted in the loft space. :(

First sign of problems (amazingly none yet), and I'm putting it in a skip!

stephenleespooner?? sorry to here that your faith in glowworm is as bad as you say. all thou you never did answer my question on servicing? and i would look at the person who installed it for you. regarding inhibitors and inline system protectors??? I fitted twenty five CXi's last year and no one has rang me regarding any problems other than loss of pressure due to people removing rads to decorate and not knowing how to top up the system properly.
Plumbers always have there favourite products that they like to fit, but truth be known most parts on all types of boilers are made in the same place. It is very important to get your boilers serviced as some of your problems would have been corrected at least in its warranty!! i will agree with you about the tech help line being rubbish and most manufactures help lines are including worcester. I also find their parts over priced and their call out service very expensive. but all boiler manufactures are like this. after all, all they want is your money in the end.

Don't give up on your Glowworm they are a very good boiler when installed correctly and serviced regularly?? You will probably find that your pressure sensor has gone up the suwanee. You will need to replace the pressure relief valve aswell to stop the leaking?? I would suggest you do these two items first as they are fairly cheap?
one of the best things about your boiler is that there is a history memory
program built in to this boiler and by pressing the mode button and following a few simple steps, that you will find in the manual it will tell you if there is anything else wrong with it?
hope that helps :D

Just to clarify, the Cxi doesnt have a memory, the ultracom does.

Do you get any fault codes showing? i wouldnt look at replacing any parts until they are tested and proven to be faulty.

One possible cause of your problem is, at the base of the pressure sensor there is a small hole that allows the water pressure into the chamber which then relays this back to the pcb (i wont bore you with exactly how it works). This small hole can quite easily become blocked/restricted. This stops the pressure being read correctly and in turn creates a similar problem to that your having.

Also, i have had many instances where you get a fluctuation in pressure and a "hunting" (reving) fan. this is usually caused by the main PCB not sending the voltages correctly to other components.

I would firstly take the pressure sensor out, clean it up and see if that makes any difference. If it doesnt, contact Glow Worm technical, have your multimeter and let them talk you through some checks to see if its the main board at fault.

Hope this helps

NB

I would love a conversation with the "guy" (cowboy) who said they are crap.

Glow worm boilers are excellent.

A boiler is only as good as the installer, and it will only last as long as the owner allows it too.

if you dont maintain the appliance you cannot complain when it breaks.

and glow worm technical is free ;) i know...

My brother bought a house last year with one fitted in the loft space. :(

First sign of problems (amazingly none yet), and I'm putting it in a skip!

are you an engineer? if so you would know how to repair it if you came across a problem... do you say the same about every boiler that has a fault?

we dont live in a perfect world and unless there were problems none of us would have a job so quit complaining...

Why all the hatred for Glow worm boilers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back