Glow-worm Energysaver 50E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glow-worm Energysaver 50E has started to make large bangs and then re-ignite itself. After a few cycles of the loud bangs it blows itself out and cuts off. When I go to the boiler it still seems on but no flame is present. The only way to get it started again is to turn it to zero and then back onto one. The whole cycle starts again. I have had a corgi engineer to look at it and he changed the fan as he believed that could be causing the problem. When this didn't work he serviced the boiler after a drain down, but this hasn't stopped the problem of the bangs. These are very loud. Please help. A friend has mentioned having a new burner?

Sponsored Links
it could be the burner they are water cooled and do leak causing noises

These burners/heat exchangers are very expensive, do you have LPG because it is heavier than air it sit on the bottom of the boiler builds up then goes bang.
441683.jpg
part no 441683 £235 http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html Also the ignition electrode may be worth replacing first

Sponsored Links
Check the spark gap you should be able to fit a pound coin between the electrode and burner. If noise still persists change electrode.

I have had a run in with exactly the same problem on this boiler last year but a colleague took the job on as I went on hols, however I am fairly sure that the gas valve was at fault letting by and causing an explosive mix in the combustion chamber.

I just condemned one today ( model 50) because of a condensate leak down the back of the combustion chamber (disastrous mess!). Although only 7 or so years old, definitely not worth stripping and repairing, even assuming the screws would undo! What a ghastly design!

Cheap / free burner, anyone? :cool:

Hi There, I am having the exact same problem as above.
I had my burner replaced approx 12 months ago, Now I have this banging problem....
The thing is, with the combustion chamber front panel off, the boiler works fine... Heat the rads up no problem?
I had the gas fitter out who replaced the burner to have a look and see if he could fix it, however he did not know what was causing the banging?
Couple of things I have noticed, (I'm not a gas fitter)...
1). The combustion chamber front panel is warped/buckled and all the insulation is cracked and almost falling out.
2). The burner assembly appears to be faulty... between the top part of the burner and the sump there is a gasket. I have a 3mm gap between the top and btm part of the burner where the gasket is...
Do you think that this gap is causing the banging?... Maybe sucking air into the combustion chamber or something??
Also, is it safe for me to run the boiler with the combustion chamber front panel off in the short term? (Just concerned about fumes maybe?)
Thanks a lot.
Pete

Hi There, I am having the exact same problem as above.
I had my burner replaced approx 12 months ago, Now I have this banging problem....
The thing is, with the combustion chamber front panel off, the boiler works fine... Heat the rads up no problem?
I had the gas fitter out who replaced the burner to have a look and see if he could fix it, however he did not know what was causing the banging?
Couple of things I have noticed, (I'm not a gas fitter)...
1). The combustion chamber front panel is warped/buckled and all the insulation is cracked and almost falling out.
2). The burner assembly appears to be faulty... between the top part of the burner and the sump there is a gasket. I have a 3mm gap between the top and btm part of the burner where the gasket is...
Do you think that this gap is causing the banging?... Maybe sucking air into the combustion chamber or something??
Also, is it safe for me to run the boiler with the combustion chamber front panel off in the short term? (Just concerned about fumes maybe?)
Thanks a lot.
Pete

I had my exchanger replaced in 2003 after 9 years of use. I wonder if I had imput some inhibitor it would have lasted a bit longer. I don't think that you should try running it without the front panel - but then I'm not a engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back