Glow Worm Fuelsaver Mk2 40 B delay to fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm Fuelsaver Mk2 model 40B boiler that is probably the best part of 20 years old. It has a delay in firing up. When I switch it on or when the timer clicks in, I can hear the pump open upstairs and hear the usual clicking and sounds in the boiler but then it takes four minutes until it fires up. Once the flame has fired it works perfectly normal. A month ago I assisted a friend to install two new radiators at my house and this was done on two consecutive weekends which meant draining and refilling the system twice. The problem has only happened since then. I am having difficulty locating a manual for this boiler as it is discontinued and I can't find any Gas Council Number in the unit although it has been suggested that it could be a 41 313 78 which relates to a Fuelsaver 40R. Could anyone advise on what this problem could be. It is not a major issue as everything is fine once fired up but I was wondering if it may leak any gas within the four minute delay and if this delay may get longer. Any help would be of great value to me.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fek people trying to make if sound complicated .
Gas valve operator is startng to wear (coincidence) can carry on like this for years . Part is around 45 quid or 80 quid for complete valve.
But its working so just leave alone.

Gassafeman as an RGIwhat would you suspect if everything calling for heat and he was getting 240vat valve and no burner firing

Sponsored Links
I've had similar problems, usually following high winds that blew out the pilot light. Luckily I have the original fitting instructions for this 27 year old normally excellent old-style 'steam-powered' (i.e. no digital crap) boiler which give a flow chart and voltage readouts to check the thermocouple etc. ( I will try to scan this and upload with a link later). However stuck in the back of this installation manual was a small pink card presumably made to be given to the user after fitting which gives a complete sequence of how to start the boiler. Imbeded in small type in this is the fatal statement.

"If pilot does not remain alight repeat lighting instructions again AFTER THREE MINUTES HAVE ELAPSED (their capitals not mine). If the gas control knob is turned to 'off' position at this stage, no attempt should be mde to force it back to the 'pilot' position until three minutes have elapsed."

Now of course this should have been stuck on a label directly on the outer casing next to the bloody knob but in the typically British way of engineering obfuscation i have never seen the card before and I doubt whether anyone else with this problem has so kept on trying to light it and deducing it was the thermocouple when it failed. I had intended to go out and buy a new thermocouple today before I read this card. Instead I followed the sequence and the boiler lighted first time! Of course people in this forum who have gone out to buy a thermocouple and fitted it would have found it to work when they got back after three minutes and so lack of these instructions has probably confused many people into unnecessary work.

There are two further points.

(1) I wonder how many current gas engineers know this and is this why they have to keep coming back to mess with repairs?

(2) I discovered the main reason why my boiler pilot light blew out in high winds was because some prat of an engineer took off the pilot light shield, presumably to make servicing easier for them! Previously I had also discovered after paying British Gas money for yearly servicing for a decade that the fitter who did mine left the burner unit free from its bracket to make his job easier and it was floating around inside the casing! Presumably it used to skip about every-time the gas was lit! It was not being able to trust them that made me begin to service my own boiler originally and I have done so for the past decade with little or no problems so far.

I am not sure why this starting sequence is SO important (perhaps a gas engineer on this forum can tell us?) but it did the trick with me and seems to account for those mysterious incidents above where the boiler wouldn't light and then later did.

Hope this helps. Here's the full sequence - edited for brevity;

1. Ensure that the thermostat knob is in the OFF position (The thermostat knob is the one you can seen when the bottom casing is on.)
2. Turn gas control knob (cream coloured plastic knob fitted to the gas valve) until pilot position is opposite the 'setting point' (in case you are a newbie this is the little round 'nipple' cast into the large gas valve beside the gas control knob)
3. Hold/press down gas control knob fully and keep down.
4. Click piezio-electric sparker.
5. When the pilot-light lights keep holding down gas control knob for approx 20-30 (recommend 30) seconds then release when pilot should remain on.

"If pilot does not remain alight repeat lighting instructions again AFTER THREE MINUTES HAVE ELAPSED. If the gas control knob is turned to 'off' position at this stage, no attempt should be mde to force it back to the 'pilot' position until three minutes have elapsed."

5. Turn gas control knob quarter turn anti-clockwise to 'on'.
6.Now and only now turn thermostat knob from off to say half-way or where you normally set it. Burner should ignite and all will be well.

Softly, softly catchee Glow-worm.

Hope this helps

John

Another 3 year old post :!: :!: :!:
JD, I see you are a new member. Keep it up to date with your posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back