Glow Worm Space Saver 40 MK II - Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently my pilot light went out on my boiler.

It is a Glow Worm Space Saver 40 MK II.

I had a plumber round today and he went through the following steps to
get it firing again.

1. Replaced thermocouple. Checked it is working - works fine.
2. Cleaned out the gas supply to the pilot light - was slightly blocked - is
now clean as a whistle.

The pilot light now burns bright and strong. Yet still when uncompressing
the button for the pilot light - the pilot extinguishes.

Looking more closely, it appears that the contact where the thermocouple
meets the wire which carries the single to the gas valve to stay open
looks in bad shape. i.e not much metal on the metal contact due to
erosion.

We stripped the wire back slightly to make for a much better contact.
Attaching the thermocouple back up the problem still remains, the pilot
light goes out when the button is uncompressed.

Does this only leave the gas valve? Or is there something else to try?

* The pilot is clean and burning brightly.
* The pilot engages the thermocouple and heats it well.
* The thermocouple has been tested and works.
* The thermocouple engages the wiring which transports
the signal to the gas valve to remain open. (Although no electronically tested)

On the underside of the gas valve reads:

Gas Valve v8600a 1024 2
DIN DGVW 85.04c 050
CAT III Pmax 50 mbar

If it is the gas valve - where can I get one from?
Is this the right part?
http://www.boilerpart.gbr.cc/3034/prod.asp?p=54
ID: GLO416213

Can I try anything else?

The plumber has left with the assumption that it must be the gas valve. I'd
rather have some expert opinion before handing over £150 to get a gas
valve fitted.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Sponsored Links
Had exactly this, this week with a fuelsaver 2.

You need to check whether the overheat is in series with the thermocouple, if so check there is full contiuity over the overheat stat and the wires. If this has an interupter, then check this as well.

I have done all of the above so can only now replace the gas valve. Only had 3 gas valves fault like this in the past though, so it does make you doubt yourself a bit.

Still, as I was always taught, confidence is competence (or was that the other way round :oops: )

The fault with the appliance could be any number of items, all of which are safety related items. From your statement your plumber clearly does not have a clue how to verify the correct and safe operation of a very basic appliance. I would recommened that you do not use his services any further, and employ a competant person who should be able to diagnose the exact fault within 15mins. Do not pay for guess work, parts are not cheap.
Due to the type of boiler you have and the type of safety controls I am not prepared to offer a step by step "how to guide".

John

Had exactly this, this week with a fuelsaver 2.

You need to check whether the overheat is in series with the thermocouple, if so check there is full contiuity over the overheat stat and the wires. If this has an interupter, then check this as well.

I have done all of the above so can only now replace the gas valve. Only had 3 gas valves fault like this in the past though, so it does make you doubt yourself a bit.

Still, as I was always taught, confidence is competence (or was that the other way round :oops: )

Thanks for the response - what you are talking about is beyond my competence.......but I'll do some research and definately pass this on to any plumber I subsequently get round to have a look.

Sponsored Links
The fault with the appliance could be any number of items, all of which are safety related items. From your statement your plumber clearly does not have a clue how to verify the correct and safe operation of a very basic appliance. I would recommened that you do not use his services any further, and employ a competant person who should be able to diagnose the exact fault within 15mins. Do not pay for guess work, parts are not cheap.
Due to the type of boiler you have and the type of safety controls I am not prepared to offer a step by step "how to guide".

John

Thanks for your response John.

Excuse my bluntness but aren't you describing what is the the problem everybody faces.

Faced with the Corgi website and yell.com how am I supposed to know who is a competent plumber and who is not? I attempted to get someone with a low Corgi number to ensure experience. Your scathing observations suggest this was a pointless exercise.

I'd welcome anyone in the Nottingham area to get in touch if they can diagnose the problem in 15mins.

This can and is turning into quite an expensive problem.

It shouldnt take a person who knows what he's doing long to tell you thee exact fault,after he's checked t/c and o/h stat,and has done the obvious things eg cleaned pilot and got a nice size pilot,then he would say gas valve but its easy to check t/c and o/h stat but are you sure he done that

It shouldnt take a person who knows what he's doing long to tell you thee exact fault,after he's checked t/c and o/h stat,and has done the obvious things eg cleaned pilot and got a nice size pilot,then he would say gas valve but its easy to check t/c and o/h stat but are you sure he done that

How very true..........without a referral it's hard to know which "idiot" might turn up at your door.

Things have been resolved - although not cheaply.

A new gas valve was needed, upon replacement the pilot light was stable and burned brightly.

The main burner however did not ignite when the call was made from the timer and the thermostat turned to max.

The transformer was replaced and viola all works fine.

I wasn't there when the work was carried out.........i'd appreciate opinions, for future reference, if indeed both things did need changing.

Thanks to those who took interest in my post.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back