Glow-worm spacesaver 50 /DHW problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I've recently moved house and with the winter drawing every so closer, and with the cold snaps already taken place central heating heatings are important for everyone I guess.

I've been running the central heating system in the house, but their is a major problem that occurs and some questions that arise that i cannot find ansers to. Sorry about the length of posting!

I don't much about CH but reading the forums and whats the needs are here,the system consists of (as much as I can get or understand):

Glow-worm Spacesaver 50BF (Kitchen) 3 wires goung into controlbox
Grundfoss pump (underneath floorboards upstairs)
Randall 4033 Timer 4 wires(In the airing cupboard)
Honeywell Thermostat (don't state model)
Santon immersion heater (airing cupboard, upstairs)

Two cisterns in loft, one its seem connected to immersion heater
the other connected to central heating system.

One MK 30amp switch with independent 3pin socket (this switch turns on the immersion heater)

You guys may already know how the system works, but heres a run down of the operation.

The 30amp switch allows us to turn on/off the DHW when we need it, thats OK.

To turn on central heating, we have to flick on two toggle switches on the timer for the system to heat the radiators.(boiler turns on)

Q- why do I have to turn on both toggle switches, when they are listed independently as Heating and Water, both with the switch position of being timed aswell.
If I do switch on only the Heating toggle, I hear from the boiler like a pump or something, but the gas is still in pilot postion, and the central heating will not warm up. It also seems that there is noise from the Grundfos pump also.

If I turn on only the water toggle switch, the boiler's gas sytem ligts up, like it was heating something but I cannot hear non of the pump running noises and the rads don't go warm.

When both swicthes are on then whole system works but, with one big negative output. The domestic hotwater get so hot and keeps getting hotter, that you cannot touch it and have to swicth of the CH system just for that, even though we still need the CH for the rads.

Q2 - I thought that the immersion heater worked soley from independent 30amp switch which we had control over, as their is only one electrical connection that can be made, on the top.
How is that it also heals up with the CH system, I know the system is not a combi, so how does that work.

q3 does the Glow-worm spacesaver 50bf also heat dometic hot water and feed into the immersion heater?!? there are three pipes(heard to view)
that are connected to the immersion, and when it gets hot, it gets damm hot. You cannot even touch the taps(Im not lying) its that hot, you can easily scald yourselves not safe for my kids at all.

What kind of stupid setup is this, or has someone wired it all wrong, please can someone help.

Thank You

dave

Sponsored Links
Dave, no wonder you are not getting any replies to this question. It's more like 20 questions.

You obviously have finely-tuned powers of observation. In the time it took you to write this, you could have done some research to find out how it all works and come up with some of the answers yourself.

FYI PaulAH, I did some research on the net. That was how I figured about where and what parts were. And tbh you don't need a Phd to write down the model numbers of the parts I found, heck even my 5 year son could do it.

20 question! There a couple of questions most of them repeated in ways of the post was written. I figured out the parts, I understand how a boiler CH works in general, but considering most of the wiring and pipes are hidden and hard to access (or damage the decor to do so) I would expect the curtesy of who would know information to help me and my family out, without coming with sarky comments. I am not an expert in CH systems.

If I knew something, and am an expert in my work of field I don't expect someone who asked me something about the field, to shun them away because they have observed some very simplistic things. I will help if I can.
People like have got nothing to do but moan and groan, and I feel sorry for you. :eek:

Can someone please help, or have i really come to the wrong place there must be some intelligent and more intellectual people out there.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back