Glow Worm Ultimate 40ff - Air Pressure Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a Glow Worm Ultimate 40ff which has deveoped a problem. I recently got back from my honeymoon during which I had the boiler switched off for over two weeks (looking back I wouldn't have done this as I see it often results in problems with this boiler).

Anyway, got back a couple of days ago, put the boiler on, all seemed to operate fine. Tried to switch it on yesterday and it wasn't working. No pilot light or anything.

Looking in the boiler manual fault finding section, I've followed the section through using the led's etc and it seems to identify the air pressure switch is at fault and needs replacing.

Is this a common problem with these boilers or is it likely to be something else causing the problem?

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
There are many different problems that can stop a boiler working and I cannot guess what yours is.

However, the air pressure switch should only be checked by a competent CORGI who should be able to diagnose exactly what the problem is on your boiler.

Tony

Thanks Tony, appreciate what you are saying, and I will definitely call out an engineer to fix the problem/replace any parts, however I wanted to get an idea what the problem might have been before calling one - don't want to get ripped off into replacing unnecessary parts. Just by searching for my boiler model on this forum I've already found posts relating to engineers replacing parts willy nilly in order to cure a fault/make more money.

Obviously, I'm sure nearly all the engineers are honest professionals but it would be just my luck to call out a dodgy one.

Obviously, I'm sure nearly all the engineers are honest professionals but it would be just my luck to call out a dodgy one.

There are many who do not have very good skills at diagnosing faults but very few who replace parts fraudulently.

If a part is changed which does not cure the fault then you should not pay for it and he should put the old one back on!

You are not responsible for his lack of skills.

I charge a fixed price diagnostic fee however long it takes. Of course I know that I can diagnose most faults in just a few minutes, mostly I know whats wrong from the telephone description before I get there.

Twice they have taken me over three hours, one last January and the other five years ago!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony...

I persevered with the fault finding. On checking the fan I found it wasn't spinning even though 240v at the terminals. Took it off, cleaned connections and lubricated bearings etc. Made sure it was spinning freely. Put it back on and boiler now works fine. Perhaps fan just got stuck after being idle for so long, or maybe it's on it's way out. Either way it's working for now and if the fan fails again I'll replace it.

Thanks again

The bearings have seized up and your holiday was the last straw.

You can lubricate them and they sometimes work for a considerable time afterwards. Use car engine oil as its designed for high temperatures. NEVER use WD40 as the propellant is flamable!

Opening the combustion chamber should only be attempted by a CORGI who can check the seals are operative and confirm the boiler is running
safely.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back