glowworm fuelsaver Mk II OK sealed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glowworm fuelsaver mark II which was originally in a vented CH and HW system.

While I rented the flat out, somebody has taken out the header tank and put bleed valves on the cut-off stumps of the pipes to and from the tank. There is no discernible means of filling the system.

This looks very dodgy to me but the flat has got it's gas inspection certificate every year.

Can I put this right by making it a proper sealed system with an expansion tank, filling loop and safety valve? Otherwise I will have to go back to a vented system with a tank.

Sponsored Links
The gas safety certificate has nothing to do with the systems plumbing arrangements.

It's very, very unlikely that you have a system as you described. I would imagine it would have burst within minutes of firing without an expansion vessel.

I would look a bit harder :D

ditto are you theres not one under the floor or somewhere stupid

1 no prv
2 no ex vessel
3 no pressure gauge

thats a bomb waiting to go off
as soon as you fire it up
and your insurance wont cover it :cry:
do you mean the feed and expansion tank or the copper h/w cylinder :?:

I'll have another good look but that's how I see it.

Obviously, if it is how I describe, something needs to be done. Would the installation of the expansion vessel etc. do the job? Or would I have to go for the expansion tank?

Sponsored Links
bobb said:
I have a glowworm fuelsaver mark II which was originally in a vented CH and HW system.

While I rented the flat out, somebody has taken out the header tank and put bleed valves on the cut-off stumps of the pipes to and from the tank. There is no discernible means of filling the system.

kevplumb said:
1 no prv
2 no ex vessel
3 no pressure gauge

thats a bomb waiting to go off.

Well, on further investigation I noticed that hot water was getting into the CH side. I found this out by observing that, with mains stopcock off, water came out of the bleed valves when I had the hot water cylinder full but not when I drained the cylinder.

On disconnecting the cylinder I found that when I blow in one end of the coil with the other end blanked off and air would pass easily, therefore the coil has burst. As kevplumb had suggested, something would blow. The system still worked fine both CH and HW OK.

I have now fitted a sealed system set and am in the process of replacing the cylinder.

On looking in the cylinder through the immersion heater hole though, I don't see a conventional coil but what looks like an inner copper vessel with a domed top. Any idea what this might be?

As the man said: a primatic cylinder, which explains why you still have a kitchen. However, connecting an 'unvented' CH system to a primatic cylinder of any type is a no-no. As it expands, the filthy water from the rads will contaminate the hot water supply. Which idiot did this. Ought to be tied up and his tool(s) permanently removed :evil:

at the very least,if i remember correctly fuelsaver is a low water content boiler what else has been hidden/bodged think along the lines of major investment needed correct flushing at the very least :rolleyes:

bripl said:
at the very least,if i remember correctly fuelsaver is a low water content boiler what else has been hidden/bodged think along the lines of major investment needed correct flushing at the very least :rolleyes:

thanks for that. as I live in a hard water area and this cross contamination between HW and CH has been happening for a long time, I guess there could be a considerable scale build-up in the boiler. What is the best product for dealing with this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back