Glowworm Ultimate 100FF / 120FF -- problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some help here to see if I can get our heating / hot water working again.

This morning the heating and hot water came on fine but when I came downstairs the boiler was making a strange noise like it was straining and there was no sign of flame in the viewing window. I turned the control thermostat knob off, checked that the system was calling for heat, waited about a minute and turned the thermo back on.

The system ignited but the flame in the viewing unit was bigger than usual and the noise wasn't quite right (you know how you get used to the sounds of your central heating?), the heating system kicked on in the airing cupboard but after a few minutes the flame went out in the boiler and the funny straining noise started again. So I've switched it off.

Any ideas what's going on? Any safe solutions?

We have a Glowworm 100FF or 120FF (never sure where to look on the boiler to distinguish between types). We inherited it when we moved to our house in 2006 and it's about ten years old now.

Sponsored Links
you need to call a gas safe guy in , tell him about the fault and let him sort it ,
when was it last serviced?

last year in the summer. We did have the hot water valve replaced in May as it was sticking and causing control issues, and the person who did that gave the boiler a once over, but not what you'd call a full service.

Sponsored Links
well, when he was replacing the valve he had a look at the wiring to the boiler and used the fault checking algorithm in the boiler's manual but as there was no problem with the boiler at that point and I hadn't asked for a service I wouldn't call that a proper service, more of a cursory glance as part of a different job

I've always rated these as a simple well made salt of the earth type boiler
dont let anyone talk you in to getting rid of it ! as long as you can get parts !

One things for certain the condesate pipe wont freeze because it doesnt have one !!!

Not enough info to offer much help with what might be wrong could be pump fan or zone valves but its only a guess..........if stood in front of probably diagnose it within seconds but that doesnt help you much ! sorry

well, when he was replacing the valve he had a look at the wiring to the boiler and used the fault checking algorithm in the boiler's manual but as there was no problem with the boiler at that point and I hadn't asked for a service I wouldn't call that a proper service, more of a cursory glance as part of a different job

So the boiler didn't really get a 'once over' did it? It was the recepitent of a 'cursory glance'. :rolleyes: Im afraid you need advice which this site may forbid me to give.

When was it last serviced? I mean properly serviced... not a 'once over' or a 'cursory glance'.

It makes you wonder doesn't it :LOL:

What does a boiler sound like when " it was straining"? I know what I sound like when I am straining for something.... but a boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back