Glowworm Ultimate - No Hot Water, now no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glowworm ultimate 30ff, immersion tank upstairs, thermostat in hall, trv's upstairs,

Yesterday noticed no hot water, put tank on manual override, heated water.
Engineer came today.......got home to discover I now have no heating either, boiler firing but everything cold.......after a few phone calls I've been told its the air switch? I have limited knowledge but I thought if the air switch wasnt functioning the boiler would cut out.......it never has although it does make clonking sounds occasionally, a bit like water hammer.
I'm now sat here freezing without heat until monday.
btw should the gas safety check certificate also have been issued today if the system isnt working?

Sponsored Links
Too vague.

Boiler firing and cutting out?
Pump operating?

Dave

Yes boiler firing, click click click.......whoosh. Yes pump working have tried upping it to 3, back to 2 etc.

Is there any sort of thermostat in boiler that would cause water not to heat?

Yes boiler firing, click click click.......whoosh. Yes pump working have tried upping it to 3, back to 2 etc.

Is there any sort of thermostat in boiler that would cause water not to heat?

Your boiler appears to be problem free. Circulation could be a fault. Whilst your pump may be spinning, if the impellor has detached from the body, your pump is useless.

Boiler stat will allow boiler to overheat but not before all your rads are very VERY hot.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Cheers Dave, the water is circulating. I can hear a slight gurgle and tracked it (ears to cold radiators round the house lol)

My question is how could coming to fix no hot water problem cause there now to be no heating either. Would an air switch be the cause? I understand its very hard to diagnose from a distance but as I rent and have had to go via agents, landlords, agents ,contract engineers, etc since yesterday. I would like to be armed with a little knowledge to question the engineer as when I complained this evening, he suddenly was able to possibly locate a part and could do me a favour.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

If water is circulating and you have no heat... and your boiler is working then Im struggling here. An aps (air pressure switch) is not at fault as your boiler is working.

When an engineer came to repair the fault on your hot water, was the heating working?

You need to answer these questions for me to make a more accurate diagnosis...

boiler fires? if yes
how long does boiler fire for?
feel the pipes above the boiler. 1 will be hot, 1 wont.
pump appears to be circulating? yes
check little tank in loft. Does it have water in it.
Can you bleed an upstairs rad and get a stream of water out of it?

What is your location?

Dave

just off to get the ladders and clamber into loft.
Heating was working yesterday it was the water that wasnt so I put the lever on the grey 'tower' box (located on top of tank)from auto to manual and switched the water heater switch on. nice tank of hot water.

The boiler is firing up and wooshing away. If I turn down the thermostat in the hall to nothing the boiler stops, I'm assuming its registering its very cold in here so doesnt need to try to heat things up. If I turn stat up it keeps on whooshing away.

Report back when I've faced the loft. btw isnt it a tad illegal to bypass the air pressure switch as the engineer says he's done a temporary fix (good job its not working at all now if thats the case)

It is ilegal to bypass, but is your heating working now?

Dave

btw forgot to say, no air in upstairs radiators, water came out of all of them straight away.(clear water) Have dug ladders out of garage just off up loft

btw forgot to say, no air in upstairs radiators, water came out of all of them straight away.(clear water) Have dug ladders out of garage just off up loft

Struggling here as you have not answered most of my questions.

Dave

When an engineer came to repair the fault on your hot water, was the heating working? Yes

You need to answer these questions for me to make a more accurate diagnosis...

boiler fires? if yes
how long does boiler fire for? If hall stat is as normal (on 20 degrees, keeps on going. When I turn stat down to 0 boiler stops although water is still circulating
feel the pipes above the boiler. 1 will be hot, 1 wont.

pump appears to be circulating? yes definitely as putting hand on pipe below pump can feel water moving also if move setting to 3 water gushes through pump faster.

check little tank in loft. Does it have water in it. yes half full

Can you bleed an upstairs rad and get a stream of water out of it? yes straight away

What is your location? herefordshire

Dave[/quote]

I've pulled the front cover from the boiler and there is a boiler thermostat knob by the reset button............this is right down on minimum.......am I guessing correctly that if I turn it up things might start happening?

Sorry to be such a pain and very grateful for all the advice so far.

Boiler stat should generally be set to approx 3/4 of full setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back