Good Decking ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are in Edinburgh and only have two flat roof area terraces (one with mineralised type felting and the other with newer 'softer' felting with silver paint on it), total approx 50 sq metres. Before we begin to get planters etc. we need to deck the roof area to protect it (Or come up with different protection to support weight of us, planters etc.).
Having never bought decking before we were wondering if anyone can recommend particular types and/or retailers. Or are they all pretty much the same?
Any info will be of help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The options are treated softwood or hardwood.

Softwood is lighter in colour and most looks green due to the pressure treatment to make it hardier.

Hardwood is better looking (deep rich browns), more resiliant to the weather, but is more expensive, around £40 m2.

Search for IPE decking on google to see what hardwood decking looks like.

I used it to make a fence to hide a hideous wall....last couple of pictures on here. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91486&start=60

is previously mentioned, although another option is cedar decking.

not all decks are the same. go for a good thick quality board and get it from a decent timber merchant, not a diy shed

Sponsored Links
Source from a local sawmill. If you are stuck get in touch with Mosstodloch sawmill up my way on 01343 821421. After that use Shiply or similar to get your load onto an empty lorry going South. I have just fitted a deck from Mosstodloch and its 42 mm thick. The price is £7.90 per 4.8Mtr L x145mm W. Or to cut to the chase it was just under a grand for all wood materials to frame and lay my deck which covers 35 sqm and then another 8 to 10 sqm of decking to side out my pergola. I would not touch any of Wickes or B&Q timber. Support ther small guys. Better quality and better service!

Thanks all,

Have had a look at the hardwoods and they do look very good. But been told that they would look too like our internal wood flooring, without being the same. We've just got glass doors so the decking and flooring would be right next to each other.

There is now talk of 'staining' decking a green shade - I had thought that could lead to a lot of hassle later on, with peeling etc, and thought decking should only be 'oiled'.
...hhmmm.....I think we're going to have a problem in the household.

will check out the other supplier - more than happy to support the smaller outlets.

DO NOT STAIN IT

DO NOT STAIN IT

DO NOT STAIN IT

DO NOT STAIN IT

have i made my thoughts clear?

Ok, is this the following case?

The colour options are:

1) A plain pine colour (don't know what colour this goes when 'treated' and should it only be treated with oil?)

2) A green tinged pressure treated pine

3) A red-brown of the hardwoods

Our internal flooring is teak/walnut colour, so I'm being told it has to be sufficiently different from that to not make it look as if we're trying to make it the same........no, I don't understand either!

Thanks

any softwood will go a warm golden colour after being in the sun a few weeks (the green tinge of the preservative wears off quickly)

the dark brown of the hardwood will get richer when the oil is applied.

in time they will both tone down and go a silver colour, similar to any wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back