Good Plumber? Fancy a challenge? Read on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I have just bought my first house and I am struggling with my central heating /hot water system.
This is what I know:
I have a Y-plan system.
The boiler (Radiation Fuelsaver 12) works fine.
The pump (Grundfos selectric 4) works fine.

Now, my problems read like this:
Unfortunately, I have two control systems fitted, an electro-mechanical dial-timer with off/on/timed settings for both hot water and central heating located upstairs next to the Indirect Cylinder, and a fully electronic Siemens REV11 which can only be used to control the central heating and appears to have been fitted in place of a room thermostat. I believe these two control systems conflict with each other. At present I control my system like this: I have the power to the electro-mechanical dial-timer isolated at the socket (it is just plugged into a wall socket), and the batteries for the Siemens REV11 removed. If I require hot water I de-isolate the power to the electro-mechanical dial-timer unit. This causes the boiler to fire and the water pump to run. The water and the radiators throughout the house get hot. When the water temperature is hot and the hot water tank is full, the boiler and water pump both switch off. The only way to get them to come back on is to use the hot water. This obviously causes problems with central heating as once the radiators have heated up for the first time they will not heat up again unless I run a hot water tap. When I have finished with the hot water I isolate power to the electro-mechanical dial-timer again.

I have tried the settings on the Siemens REV11 but whenever I operate the Siemens REV11 all it serves to do is somehow stop the boiler and water pump from coming on hence the reason it now has it's batteries permanently removed!

I know this all seems awfully complex but I am at my wits end with it and would more than appreciate any helpful advice any kind soul could offer.

Sponsored Links
My suggestion would be to start again and fit a proper new modern set of controls !

Tony

Sounds like the cylinder stat has been wired incorrectly to me.

When this is satisfied the cyl stat should then supply power to the ch side of the circuitry so the heating can continue working.

In a modern control set up on a 'Y' plan there has to be connections from the programmer for HW on and HW off.

Tony's suggestion seems the easiest in the long run, rip the timers out and re-wire from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back