Good practice - clipping cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rewiring some stretches of this house I'm remodeling [ 1 & 1.5mm on some of the socket ring, nail and rodent damage etc ].

Client has asked me to lift as few floorboards as is possible - but I want to clip cable to joists upstairs and down - would it be considered to be acceptable if I clip cable to lengths of wood and feed lengths alongside joists and screw to joist at each end [access point ]? - thereby holding the cable in place, off of the ceiling and concrete [ under ground floor boards ] and only having to open up a few points of access?

Sponsored Links
Have you worked out how long a piece of wood you'll be able to get through an opening 1 floorboard wide before it hits the ceiling or concrete?

I thought this was your house - please leave the electrical work to a qualified and competent electrician. I doubt your insurance covers you for it anyway.

Beginning to think your posts are a wind-up...

Clipping cable to lengths of wood?

And you're working for a client?

The best thing you can do is to release the client from the nightmare situation they are in and allow them to employ a qualified electrician who knows what he is doing. You plainly do not. You don't even have a clue as to what is acceptable when laying cables.

What else don't you know??

GO AWAY AND DO NOT COME BACK.

Sponsored Links
I'm rewiring some stretches of this house I'm remodeling [ 1 & 1.5mm on some of the socket ring, nail and rodent damage etc ].

Client has asked me to lift as few floorboards as is possible - but I want to clip cable to joists upstairs and down - would it be considered to be acceptable if I clip cable to lengths of wood and feed lengths alongside joists and screw to joist at each end [access point ]? - thereby holding the cable in place, off of the ceiling and concrete [ under ground floor boards ] and only having to open up a few points of access?

YES.

Yes you can.

I wouldn't, but you definatley should.

Personally I use a cat. tie cable round his collar, stick him in hole and then call for him at the other end.

Damn... I'm paying an apprentice to do that - now where can I find a cat. :LOL:

Time and date of first post?? Ohhhh! Nooo! Is a serious question which a couple of folks have answered to the affirmative.

Yes, I've used this method dozens of times. But you must use a rigid timber, nothing smaller than 4x2 and at least 4' long. And to comply with regs it must be securely fixed ie bolted to the joists.

Also make sure the timber is tanalised.

For the number of boards I'll have to lift to get this into place, I may as well pop-out every 5th or 6th to just give reach to clip straight to the joist.

I'd be using a ferret & not a cat - cats tend to find a warm spot and sleep - the ferret will whizz through with some rabbit fur as bait at the other end.

Personally I use a cat. tie cable round his collar, stick him in hole and then call for him at the other end.

Damn... I'm paying an apprentice to do that - now where can I find a cat. :LOL:

when i tried to talk an apprentice into getting through the gap in a floorboard and wriggling up in between the joists with a loom of twin and earths tied to his boot laces he said he couldn't do it ! :rolleyes:

we then had to get long hammer attached to a painting and decoratng pole to clip the cable along under the floor, it was a bit awkward but be had clipped two 2.5 cables by thursday lunchtime. I think some people dont clip cables under floorboards, although the ceiling supports them, i think they are mad, why would you do that when you can spend countless never ending hours fabricating ludicrous ways of clipping the cable along it's complete run.

under ground floor voids I made the apprentice screw pieces of 2x1 batten across the joists every 2 foot or so and ran the cables on that ( not clipped ) to keep it off the dirt and stop it pulling at the sockets.
in the first floor I just ran it on the ceiling below..
reason? because the next bloke to re-wire it won't have to lift every floorboard to unclip the old cables to run new ones.. just tie onto old ones and use as pull wires..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back