graded hardwood beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

like you get C16/C24 graded/stamped softwood I am trying to find strong hardwood beams 100x200mm by 3.5m (6 off) that are grade stamped e.g. D70 or similar.

So far i can find suppliers of same in various but none that provide grade stamps on the timber.

Am i not looking hard enough or do you not tend to get grade stamped beams in hardwood like you do softwood?
:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hardwoods are not often graded as a matter of course, and so won't be stamped. They can be graded, by visual means, that will certify them to a certain grade, which involves checking knots, the run-off of the grain, wane etc. Not many people are certified by TRADA to grade hardwoods, so they are often assumed to be the lower grade of the species i.e. D30/40.

We're currently involved in trying to promote the use of hardwoods, and my boss is a qualified hardwood grader, hence my reply above. We also have a test rig that we can use to prove beams according to BS5268, and are working to get some design data for little used hardwoods such as Ash and Sycamore. We run a company, supported by the National Parks, brokering British hardwoods in the North-East and can grade them according to requirements. If you want more info PM me, I won't post a link as it might be construed as advertising...

It's an interesting field to be working in, as more sustainable building methods are being sought and there just isn't the availability of seasoned British hardwoods that there should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back