Grandson's Sun Flower Challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Guys and Galls, I need some serious advice here.

My 4yr old Grandson has handed me a potted sun flower (approx 12") in height for planting in my garden. He wants it to grow to the sky as shown on some pictures he was shown at nursery. He will be measuring it at the end of the season to see how good I was (or not)

My thinking is:

Big Pot, Premium General Compost, Lots of water and lots of sun.

Any other tips ....... what feed is best?

Cheers All

Sponsored Links
I grow sun flowers every summer with my lil girl, last summer we had a 7ft monster! I normally start off in a pot and keep it on a sunny window cill for as long as possible, then plant in a sunny place in the garden. When they get so big, I find supporting them a problem as canes only come in small size's. I'm no expert on sun flowers but I've noticed with the flowers I've grown, they have a root ball that stays close to the surface, so if you mix compost into your garden, don't mix it to deep

Thanks Daniel,

I've planted it into a big pot at a sunny spot next to a drain pipe so will use that to support it as it grows.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the links Mursal.

So it looks as if I'm already onto a loser here as I've potted the sunflower rather than planted it in the ground. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back