GRANITE FIREPLACE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just had a granite fireplace fitted by Fireoutlet.co.uk and it is for a solid fuel burning fire, ive read that the hearth must be cut into 3 sections for heat dissapation which is fair enough. However the job was done while i was away from home, i work off shore, my partner has just sent me some photos of the joints on the granite hearth and was wondering if i could get some opinions. They seem to look quite rough and unprofessional.
Ill attach the photos to this post....

Thanks,

Im going to ring the place tomorrow to complain but still stuck at sea for 3 weeks yet...

Sponsored Links
hi,

thanks for that, what i was getting at though really was more about the standard of the cuts, dont you think they look very rough

Sponsored Links
But if you can link the workmanship issues to safety issues then a lot of people will be taking notice since this goes beyond the cosmetic.

Can u explain a bit more about the safety aspect please
If bad workmanship at the joints causes nearby flammable building materials to get dangerously hot
as measured by touch or by a thermometer
when the fireplace is being used in a normal manner
you might have a case for life or property danger rather than just a displeasing appearance.

And maybe the questionable joints leak too-high levels of carbon monoxide but you'd need to rent an instrument to check this.

Hi Guys,

Just had a email back from the fireoutlet.co.uk, they state that the installers should have fitted a black fireproof cream. Is this normal or are they just trying a quick fix, i also think that if the cuts arent square and parallel, the cream will not look right

thanks

If it's convenient, look at the workmanship quality for similar fireplaces in showrooms. Take photos and measurements. Ask many questions of other similar suppliers.

Its perfectly normal when you have a joint
When its missed out thats when it looks rough LOL

The cuts look straight enough from the photos

I'd do as others suggest, find a showroom with examples and see how well they are cut. They look poor to my eye, and the second one is very poor. It looks like they have used a basic diamond saw to cut the pieces rather than doing it properly. Personally I would reject it, and fight them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back