Gravity fed boiler warms radiators first.

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same system as this post author. ie a simple gravity fed c/h system.
The boiler heats everything together (commoned-sort of). In the winter you leave the pump switched on- ready to come on with the fire-up. First thing in the morning in this instance. If you don't want heat together with hot water- you simply leave the pump switched off- it's for the c/h only!
The timer can then only switch on the boiler which gives hot water only.
Obviously the anti gravity valve prevents the upstairs radiators from getting hot when you don't want it. It's an old system and I have never had a breakdown since 1976. I do maintain it myself- and that includes even taking the hot tank out to clean the innards (waste of time though), and the radiators in a few cases with some reason as there was some muck- but very little. I found the Comodore pump to be assembled in reverse (valve)- which explains why mine is still working, unlike other people's I know!!!
We get a hot boiler top to dry towels- a nice warm enamel flue, and the boiler helps keep the kitchen constantly warm.
We don't need all this control- fan assist- chroma-prop- breakdowns and cold periods you get with so-called modern boilers. Stuff them!
Cheers.

Bylough said:
Excuse me-Mr-(never assume anything!), but this sounds like a 'no seperate hot water system' to me
Perhaps you'd like to explain what you mean by "no seperate (sic) hot water system"?

Sponsored Links
Well I suppose it's a case of - you may only have hot water on it's own by disabling the c/h radiator flow, not by execution of a hot water control. They are not separate to enable one to pump the hot water on it's own in the coil- as stated in the manual, ie you Must not! lest thee wants a cracked bottom bit!
Well that's how I read it, Chris--

(It's surprising how useful a hot boiler top cover is- free standing type.)

Please excuse the way I addressed you Chris-- (fell out of bed).
To put what I meant the right way up- you can't have C/H on it's own.
So they can be regarded a not separate...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back