Great balls of fire - nearly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a plastering story but it's relevant for anyone who uses dustsheets. A friend was having their ground floor kitchen replastered. The friend's wife was working in the home office upstairs and thought she could smell gas. She went downstairs to investigate and found the plasterer's lad busy working while the boss was outside on the balcony talking on his mobile. The smell of gas was overpowering but the lad couldn't hear what she was saying because the radio was on. Eventually her shouting alerted the boss who came in, smelt the gas, rushed over to the hob and pulled off the plastic sheet. Underneath, one of the knobs had been accidentally turned on and gas was merrily gushing forth.

Easily done, I guess, but goodness knows what would have happened if either of them had fancied a smoke.

Sponsored Links
Years ago there was a guy put an injected damp course in up the road from me. He came in the next day and lit his lighter - it blew all the windows out.

Had a near thing too when I pulled down the kitchen blind but didn't notice that a tea light had been left on the sill. Result? The frills on the blind caught fire and we were alerted just in time by the smoke alarm. Lit tea lights and candles are now banned!

Sponsored Links
The frills on the blind caught fire and we were alerted just in time by the smoke alarm. Lit tea lights and candles are now banned!

Ah, the New Orleans effect. If it's not water, it's flames. Back in - well a long time ago - the whole place was pratically demolished when a candle set fire to a curtain while everyone was out at church.

The windows were a big silly bay at the front that had just gone in. It blew the back out too.

True story, a company were carrying out woodworm treatments to the roof timbers of a large house.
This involved spraying insecticide onto all the roof timbers.
During the course of the treatments the bulb in workmans electric lamp blew and despite trying to replace it the lamp would not work.
The workman then told the householder that he would have to stop work and go and get another one.
The householder said no problem use mine and gave the workman his lamp.
Workman connects light up and recommences spraying when suddenly there is a loud bang and a fireball rolls across the ridge of the roof.
Workman exits roof in seconds without injury and major fire destroys all of roof and most of first floor in about 15 mins.
Cause of fire was householders light which had a quartz halogen bulb which ignited the insecticide which was spirit based.
Cost of damage then was around £50k and that was 20 years ago.
Oh yes , and guess what the date was, November the 5th !

Now you tell me. When I bought my first house the BS held back £500 until the attic was treated with Rentokil. Being poor, I decided to do it myself. Every so often I would stop for a fag................... :eek: :!:

Now you tell me. When I bought my first house the BS held back £500 until the attic was treated with Rentokil. Being poor, I decided to do it myself. Every so often I would stop for a fag................... :eek: :!:
Poor =Tight? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back