GREAT!! - Why aren't plumbers merchants open 24 hours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fantastic. Thought I would start getting ready to decorate the study. First job, drain and remove radiator.......

Closed off the manual knob on one side and suddenly it started leaking. Tried to open the valve again but still kept leaking. I've had to drain the entire CH system to stop the water. Turns out the valve inside the valve housing has sheered off. Great, happens just as B&Q has closed.

Can I buy just the valve or will I need to buy the entire housing?

When I refit, do I need to wrap PTFE tape around the threads?

Sponsored Links
Do yourself a favour and DON'T buy the valves from B&Q, the last time I checked they didn't sell a single quality valve all complete carp. The packs of TRV's were absolute sh*te. Lockshields and wheelheads to BS2767 Part 10 is a good start.

A few turns around the olives normally helps. You can often just replace the valve and leave the tail in the rad.

When you say manual knob, do you mean the lockshield valve or the TRV ?

Most lockshield valves or TRVs I've come across have very similar dimensions so, in theory, you might be able to buy a new one and just replace the body (ie. re-use the existing olives and nuts).

It might make sense to use a bit of PTFE tape, although it's the olive that's supposed to form the seal - not sure whether using PTFE tape on olives is advised ?

The lesson you've learnt is only tackle a plumbing job at this time of night if you've got enough spares to deal with an emergency !

Thats why we keep stocks of boiler spares and plumbing parts so that we can manage a problem out of hours!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Had 2 idiots 'phone me up last Boxing day morning, one had taken off some rads for decorating, the other decided to bleed the rads.

Sad gits...told 'em to get out the yellow pages. :LOL: :LOL:

give it a couple of years then tescos 24 hour will jump on the idea :)

You could be right there, I reckon a boiler would fit in a shopping trolley :)

When you say manual knob, do you mean the lockshield valve or the TRV ?

This rad does not have a TRV, just the manual type. It's the actual valve inside the housing that has broken. Going to try and buy a new valve, if not I will just replace the entire lot.

If I replace it with a TRV, do I need to remove the rad tail, or will the TRV just replace the standard valve?

You could be right there, I reckon a boiler would fit in a shopping trolley

It's possible - 'Tesco Value HE Combi, 'Lidl Combi', wouldn't rule out 'Trotters Independent Traders Combi'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back