Greenstar 37CDI and gas pipe size

What does it say in the manufacture instructions. you only need a 1mlb drop over pipework this does not include the gas valve. some gas valves you can lose 2.5mlb over it so say you have 19mlb at meter 18mlb at test point on pipework at appliance you may then have 15.5mlb on gas valve this is acceptable an if you ask the manufacture they will tell you there is no problem.

we had a memo off vaillant worcester ideal they all confirmed this

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments.

The gas hob was in place when we had the boiler replaced with the Greenstar (we previously had an old boiler with a hot water tank - we decided to go with the Combi to make room in the bathroom by having the hot water tank removed).

I guess the next step is really to ask the installer to come out and offer an opinion. I'm still unclear where we are at risk. I have moved the CO2 detecter to above the gas hob just in case. Obviously, if we are in danger then we have to do something and if it is the gas hob that is the concern then I guess replacing the hob with an electric type will be cheaper than running new pipework.

which is why I suggested an inspection from gas-safe, you will get free impartial advice about any defects (if there are any ) on you system.

Hi - thanks for this - I have had a look on the Gas Safe website and it says that they only offer a gas safe inspection within 6 months of installation. It also says that you can only nominate so no certainty that you would be selected. Is this right or is there another service they offer?

Sponsored Links
your have to make a complaint about the suspected undersized gas pipes, if it turns out the fault is nothing to do with the installer you are advised to have whatever the fault is fixed at your own expense but if the installer has cut corners then its up to the installer to put it right.

I have moved the CO2 detecter to above the gas hob just in case.

If you mean a Carbon Monoxide Alarm (CO, not CO2 - thats carbon dioxide) then it makes no difference where you put it. The possible problem is that when the hobs burner(s) are on the 'simmer' position and the boiler fires it could cause the burner(s) to extinguish. Once the boiler has fired, gas (allbeit at a lower pressure) will flow from the burner(s) again - unlit.

No CO alarm will detect that.

There is no point in bothering the installer.

The boiler will work fine.

The gas supply is undersized and does not comply with the regulations.

Its normally considered that a supply is At Risk if the WP is below 15 mB with all appliances on at full power. The NCS category does not apply to NEW installations which should all be installed in accordance with current regulations, the NCS is only for when the regulations have changed since installation.

It seems as if it was always intended that you would pay extra to upgrade the pipe. It could well be that the cooker is not involved in the problem as it all depends on the pipework layout.

We would charge £60 plus £15 per metre to upgrade to 28mm from 22 mm. ( us keeping the old scrap tube. )

Thats assuming its reasonably accessible.

Tony

the boiler might be fine but what about the gas fire and hob ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back