Grohe Shower - never quite hot enough! why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grohe mixer Shower 19657 (with basic knob). It is fixed to a new stuart turner 1.5bar pump.

We recently had to get a new pump (the old one was same make but 1.3bar, it began leaking) and since then the shower will not get hot enough.

We have a glowworm boiler downstairs which is prehistoric (it says 'space saver' on it and is enormous - c.20yrs old) which works brilliantly and fills a hot water tank near the bathroom. The tap water and radiators are always boiling hot when the hot water/heating are on -but the shower is never hot enough.

In the mornings (after an hour's hot-water-on time) the shower is not hot enough, even though the tap water in the sink (right by the shower) is very hot.

It seems to be affected by whether we had a shower the night before - or used a lot of hot water washing up or something. If we did, it's really not very warm at all, even though the sink water still is! If we didn't have a shower or use lots of hot water the night before, it's more bearable though still lukewarm. (we have not got any other bath/shower)
However, in the evenings the shower water is normally slightly hotter - maybe after the hot water has been switched on for longer?

My plumber suggested it was the thermoelement not letting the hot water get through - if this was the case, why is it occasionally hot enough (normally after several hours with the hot water switched on) And also doesn't make sense since the new pump coincided with the start of this problem exactly - though i'm not sure how it can have caused it!

Any logical well thought through ideas which could make sense of this will be welcomed!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back