Grundfos Secondary HW Circulation Pump Head Replacment - Non Bronze Head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Secondary HW Circulation Pump - Grundfos UPS 15-50 B 130 Bronze Selectric, the pump has failed. I also have a spare brand new Non Bronze UPS 15-50 130 in the garage.

Can I replace the Bronze Pump Head with the Head of the Non Bronze ? Mechanically / electrically it’s a straight swap, but will the Non Bronze Head be a problem when fitted to the Bronze housing ?

BTW, the pump is fitted on the return leg next to the Cylinder.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
No. The reason for having bronze (or stainless steel) pumps on secondary circulation systems is to avoid the rusting and corrosion from the bodies of "ordinary" (central heating) circulation pumps. These are generally made of cast iron, which while not as bad as steel, will rust and contaminate the water.

Checked with Grundfos Support and they don’t supply the Bronze 15-50 B 130 pumps any more. Now replaced by the Stainless 15-50 N 130.

Anybody know if it’s OK to put a Stainless Pump Head on the Bronze Body ?

Last edited:
Checked with Grundfos Support and they don’t supply the Bronze 15-50 B 130 pumps any more. Now replaced by the Stainless 15-50 N 130.

Anybody know if it’s OK to put a Stainless Pump Head on a Brass Body ?
When I had a marine fish tank I had a pump that used a grundfos head. Grundfos confirmed their pumps heads are non corrosive when I had to replace it with a circ one.

You could email grundfos and ask what materials are used in the pump head you have. I expect they will say stainless steel.

This is what I received many years ago...

MATERIAL SPECIFICATION
Pump Housing Cast Iron
Stator Housing Aluminium
Rotor Can Stainless Steel
Rotor Cladding Stainless Steel
Air Vent Screw Stainless Steel
Bearing Plate Stainless Steel
Bearing Ceramic/Carbon
Shaft Ceramic
Stopring Composite
Impeller Composite
Neckring Stainless Steel
Terminal Box Composite
Gaskets EPDM Rubber

Sponsored Links

Anybody know if it’s OK to put a Stainless Pump Head on the Bronze Body ?
what do you think will happen? chemical reaction between the steel and the bronze? Both metals perform the same function in the system so why would there ever be an issue?

Yes, galvanic corrosion is my concern. I was wondering about the potential effect of dissimilar metals as they are at different levels but close on the galvanic scale.

Given that Grundfos replaces the Bronze Pump with the Stainless pump I thought they may have issued some guidance on changing the heads between the models.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back