Guardsman furniture protection

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is Guardsman going bust?

We suffered a stain on our sofa two days ago (14 August) and immediately telephoned Guardsman furniture protection with whom we have a protection policy. Each time I telephoned, I listened to a recorded message telling me I was in a queue and then silence for 10 or 15 minutes. Eventually, on my third attempt I did get through after 18 minutes and was told that they would send me a cleaning kit through the post. I didn't pay over £230 for a bottle of cleaning fluid and told the agent that I'd like someone to come and deal with the stain. That is what happened last year when we had a stain, and I remember the technician came straight away.

The agent reluctantly agreed to send a technician, but that I would have to submit a claim form first. I persuaded him to send the form by e-mail to save time, but he told me that I'd have to return it (along with a copy of proof of purchase of the sofa – surely they already have this on record anyway) by post. Sending it electronically is not, for some reason, acceptable. I agreed to do this, but reminded him that in Guardsman's documentation they stress the importance of dealing with stains as soon as possible. There was, of course, nothing more he could do.

Today we received a telephone call from the Guardsman technician advising us that the earliest he can come is Thursday 22 August at 12.30pm. That's eight days after the event. So much for dealing with stains as soon as possible.

This experience leads me to believe that Guardsman may be in financial difficulties: shortage of customer service staff; shortage of technicians? Their 'service' really seems to have deteriorated since last year. Also, I remember several years ago when we took out Guardsman protection, the item was sprayed with a 'special fluid'. They don't seem to do that any longer.

I hope that my experience will serve as a cautionary tale for others considering paying for Guardsman protection. Take my advice: don't do it. Either make use of your home insurance, obtain the services of a professional stain removal company, or buy suitable stain removal products and do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Did you take out the cover via the original company you purchased the furniture from? If so, then maybe worth giving them a call to find out what's going on.

I did, Dex. I did e-mail Furniture Village to let them know my opinion of Guardsman.

The main thing is, I'd like as many people as possible to know about their poor standards so they won't be caught out. I have read several similar stories on the internet, so it's not just me.

The main thing is that we won't fall for that one again.

Sorry, wrong button. 'Reply' instead of 'Edit'.

How many times have I done that?

Sponsored Links
Hope it work out for you and thanks for the heads up.

I know of someone who has cleaned upholstery for us, friends and family for a pretty fair price and if you want details pm me and I'll forward you details.

We had a new leather suite recently and straight after delivery the delivery guys advised that we unwrap immediately and look for any damage or imperfections, as this can happen when in transit.

Sure enough there was a bit of a depression in one of the arms where the item had been pressed against something in transit.

The wife diligently informed the right people, who promptly sent the upholsterers who prodded and faffed and slapped the arm until they admitted that they would have to 'operate' to fluff it back up.

Which they did and everything was perfect.......until after a month of abuse from our boys and it is just like any other used bit of furniture in the house.

The moral of the story is if you have young energetic boys then nowt is pristine and pretty for long. I have got used to saying ho hum.

New car - minging.
New suite - trampled over.
New bedrooms - hovels.
New kitchen - battered.

Love 'em more than anything though... ;)

Hope it work out for you and thanks for the heads up.

I know of someone who has cleaned upholstery for us, friends and family for a pretty fair price and if you want details pm me and I'll forward you details.

Thanks Dex, but being a Yorkshireman I'm determined to get our money's worth out of Guardsman come what may.

If and when we buy more furniture, or when the 'five years' is up, I'll be in touch. (I'll bookmark this page!)

The moral of the story is if you have young energetic boys

or cats

then nowt is pristine and pretty for long. I have got used to saying ho hum.

Yes, 'Er Indoors was always de-furring the new settees. After a few months, she found something else to focus her OCD on. :rolleyes:

Told her to get furniture that matches the colour of fur that the little bugge r sheds. :LOL:

or cats

Yes, 'Er Indoors was always de-furring the new settees. After a few months, she found something else to focus her OCD on. :rolleyes:

Told her to get furniture that matches the colour of fur that the little bugge r sheds. :LOL:

Have you tried hairspray to stop the fur shedding?

(Seriously, don't anyone try it. The cat would lick it off.)

or cats

Have you tried hairspray to stop the fur shedding?

(Seriously, don't anyone try it. The cat would lick it off.)

:LOL:

All the other cats will be asking - "Is he, or isn't he? (only viewers over a certain age will know what I'm on about)
;)

Sponsored Links
Back