Guidelines for laying cables undergound inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a cable in my kitchen from the fuse box to Cooker/Hob. The only route is under the floor tiles, so as I am tiling over these 1inch deep tiles any way I thought to cut a trench through the tiles.

How deep does the 10mm cable need to be ?
Do I have to lay it in a pipe or can I concrete it over?
Is it Min.15cm from any parallel wall ?

I have a guy coming from the local council to inspect it before its concreted over to give approval, my electrician isn't 'part-p' as he's retired but 16th edition.

Sponsored Links
Ok so you have registered this work with the council and they are coming to inspect, good as he will check the cable is the correct rating amonst other things etc.

Your cable needs to be either:

Placed in a "safe zone" i.e. run vertical or horizontal from the accessory. Cables placed 150mm from the ceiling is allowed and within 150mm of the angle formed by two walls.

OR the depth of the chase has to be more than 50mm. If its a partition wall make sure the other side of the wall is 50mm form the cable as well.

OR

the cable has to be place in EARTHED metal conduit
or the cable itself has to be steelwire armoured or split concentric.

If you are in anyway unsure about this then get a Spark in

Sponsored Links
i thought the above guidance was for walls I dont know what the rules are for floors, but I'd double check before doing anything! -are you sure you cant get a cable route in your walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back