Gurgling Plughole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody

Small i hope problem i have is that my bath trap i believe is what they call a shallow trap, When i empty the bathroom wash basin i get a Gurgling sound coming from my bath plughole.
My wash basin is connected via a sweeping T to the bath outlet pipe, is this causing somesort of vaccum and drawing the water out of the shallow trap.
It's impossible to fit any other type of trap without lifting any floor boards up,and would mean moving the bath and all the pipe work any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

By the way A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Monty Caboodle

Sponsored Links
The design of a waste sytem is often incorrect, although information is available to avoid this sort of problem.
There are maximum lengths for waste pipes and recommended falls. Not following the rules can lead to traps being emptied, allowing drainy smell into the room.
So - without having any details of your installation, the best I can suggest is to change the basin waste trap to the type that has a little valve in it to allow air in, but not out. Sometimes called an antivac trap or a McAlpine trap. If the pipe run is accessible, you can alternatively cut it and insert one of these devices in the straight run of pipe.

Thanks Ricarbo
I take it then that if i fit a Antivac or McAlpine trap to my wash basin, it will stop sucking water out of my Shallow Bath Trap, i have a run of about 4 feet from my basin to my bath, it then connects via a sweeping T about 6 inches from the bath outlet trap, would this be in order.

Monty caboodle

Sponsored Links
Antivac, Mac, OR Hep2o waste valve ;) No waterseal in these babies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back