Gutter Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is insisting we do something to rectify the guttering between our two houses as when it rains heavily a stream of water flows very close to her front door.

Her house is perpendicular to mine, so if my gable walls pointed east/west her gable walls point north/south. Where the roofs join is what I think is a water channel created from metal flashing. Although the guttering at the edges of the house isn't in great condition there is no hope it could catch this flow of water as it shoots over the box attached to the downpipe (hopper?).

What is the best solution here? Is there a standard guttering fixing that could direct the water into the current downpipe? I'll take some pictures when I can ...

Sponsored Links
Below is a picture showing the join between the roofs and the inadequate guttering situation below. Maybe I just need to get a huge hopper?

(I know the wall needs some maintenance, I'm waiting for better weather)

the valley gutter will simply overshoot any hopper that low down.

the water needs to be collected from the valley a lot higher up.

there is a lot of water gathering in that corner which will lead to the gutter becoming overwhelmed in a storm.

can one of the gutter runs fall the other way, i.e. away from the valley?

extending the r/h run across the valley would help.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean she is insisting?
Sounds a bit pushy to me, it's a shared valley by the looks of it.
noseal is right, if the picture tells the true story the right hand gutter is lower than the left.
If you take the stop end outlet off and position it under the valley, fit a gutter union to the original piece of gutter and add a small piece of gutter to connect the two back up it should, as the outlet will be directly under the valley, sort the problem.
If the right hand gutter is a bit to high and will snag on the valley just lower the bracket a bit.

Just to put the picture in context. The brick wall is the back of my house and the guttering on it is only about 2m in length. It's not possible to reverse the slope and collect the other end.

The neighbours gutters runs about 5m - 6m in total and I don't think there is a drain the other end to allow us to reverse the slope.

The general consensus seems to be to try and join the gutters together and raise the hopper to be right underneath them? To be sure the hopper won't overflow is it worth attaching another section of pipe (to my neighbours gutter) to join on to the downpipe a few feet below the hopper, or is that just a waste?

do away with the hopper altogether.

extend your gutter so that it is entirely below the valley. try and alter it so that the outlet is directly underneath the valley spill. run the outlet into the down pipe and tee the neighbours into the same downpipe using a branch.

this scenario is not ideal. too much water is being collected in one place, and is bound to be overwhelmed in a sudden storm.

And if need be a bit of lead fixed vertically in the gutter will deflect any water which rushes down the valley and tries to fly over the top of the gutter

How can you join the gutters together?
They look like they are at different heights.
I agreed with noseal in his first post but i think doing away with the hopper and branching into the same downpipe may cause a problem.
Extendind the gutter as was said before will do the trick i think, and the hopper will allow the water time to escape.

noseal, he says his gutter is only 2m long so with his and the neighbours combined it is only 8m, just an average (even shorter than average) run, so i don't think there is too much water.
It is just the strange way someone has finished his gutter.
I can't see why they stopped there, can you?

They look like they are at different heights.

i never suggested joining the gutter.

i suggested joining the downpipes using a branch, thus doing away with a hopper.

as you suspected, the gutters are at different heights making it impossible for them to be joined.

no seal, look at my post ya daft apeth :eek:
I know it wasn't you who suggested joining them together, it was the OP,
The general consensus seems to be to try and join the gutters together
That is why I put the reply to you seperate.
:)

The neighbour believes here facia boards are rotting and need replacing, so has asked for a quote to redo the lot. In which case they may be able to align the two gutters.

his gutter is only 2m long so with his and the neighbours combined it is only 8m, just an average (even shorter than average) run, so i don't think there is too much water.
As there is an internal gutter too is it better to consider the actual roof area that is being drained? One side of two pitched roofs, measuring about 5m - 6m each, minus the section where the roofs overlap.

My biggest concern is the new guttering not being able to cope with sudden downpours. Currently, a sudden downpour results in excess water landing in my neighbours garden. If that excess water starts running down my brick wall it will certainly get into my house.

I'll make sure I get to speak with the company providing the quote, as with your advice I feel a little more knowledgeable about possible solutions - thanks!

If you feel that it wont cope ask for the deep stuff, but, if the outlet is under the valley i don't see a problem under normal conditions.
There are not many household gutters that cope with a sudden deluge like a flash flood. You never see it 'cause you stay inside while it is tipping down.
If it continues to run down the wall after you have had work done and you are concerned then give the wall a good coat of Thompsons (other brands available :) ) waterseal.

noseal (see, separate paragraph :LOL: )
Fair play to ya, if i get on here later after early doors then my ramblings will be much worse!! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back