Guttering on a garage - leads to no drain...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fix an issue with the guttering on our garage, as it's caused the garage to become very damp.

Here's a link to a couple of photos of it:
http://imgur.com/a/sfRJK

The problem is caused by the guttering sagging in the middle, causing water to drip and overflow when it's raining.

So, I thought, just replace/fix the guttering, and all will be well.

But when I looked at where the downpipe leads to, there is no drain for the water to go to. Is this normal? What is the point in even having guttering when there is no drain for the water to go to?

Could anyone suggest what I should do to fix this? I am a DIY amateur, but willing to learn :)

Sponsored Links
Have you scraped away the gunge from the bottom of the down comer?
If there is no drain there - buried or otherwise - then maybe the down comer could be extended to a nearby gulley....failing that, whats on the other end of the gutter - could the run off be directed into the garden or a soak away?
John :)

Yeah, I've scraped away the grunge, underneath is just a hard bricklike surface, no drain that can be seen. There is no easy route to my back garden from here.

The other side of the guttering leads to the small pathway between the side of the garage and a neighbours garden. There's no soakaway or drain on that side.

I'm wondering if there is any need for any guttering here at all? The damp problem that is in the garage seems to be caused by the water dripping/overflowing onto the bricks stacked up against the back of the garage. Shown here: http://imgur.com/ORZtAyh Not sure why these were put here...

If I was to remove the bricks then removed the guttering entirely, do you reckon this would be enough to sort my damp issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pre fab garages like these often have damp issues because they are notoriously hard to seal where the panels join the base.
No matter.....any rain from the roof has to be channeled away somewhere to prevent damp. Is it possible to reposition the down comer so it can flow into the garden or somewhere? If the guttering is made good, maybe the water running on to the pavement flows naturally away.....presumably it worked at some time!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back