Halogen work light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would a halogen work light, on a stand,with 2 x 500 watt bulbs be suitable to light a 18ft x 10ft garage?.At the moment i am using a flurescent light plugged in in the house.

I wondered if a work light would be more effective,there is only one window and the existing light is in the corner, so it is dark in there even in the day time.

I dont plan to rebuild any cars in there!!i just want as much light as you would have in an average room in the house and be able to see what i am doing while attempting small jobs and find things without a torch,and no my husband could not wire a light to the mains!!.Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Halogen lighting especially 500W is a very aggressive light and is not really a good source of general lighting in a small area.It casts shadows and also is not very efficient to run.It will dazzle you when you are facing it and runs hot.You could try maybe a smaller wattage halogen as a last resort but still not ideal.Someone is sure to be along soon with a better idea..............

saintjanet, have you considered what you use to light a normal room in the house? 100w lamps? 60w lamps? not 1kw of halogen lighting! :eek:

the light you mention will make a good space heater - they use similar lamps in commercial kitchens to keep food warm on serve-overs.

I suggest you invest in a couple of fluorescent tubes fixed to the ceiling, and if there's no power in there, put a long, suitably restrained flex on them to go into the house.

Alternatively, we have a "festoon" party light set, with a long rubber cord and 10 lampholders for 25w coloured lights. This could be adapted with 11w energy saving lamps and strung over the ceiling joists in the garage. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both replies,i can see now this is not the way to go,.i have a fluorescent light now with lead through the window,i will have to try to move it,although this may be a problem due to the roof,but thats another story.Thanks again i was going to buy a work light in the morning :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back