Halogens - LV or mains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having done some research into this area, it appears to me that the technology advancements are in LV halogens instead of the mains voltage ones. For example the Philips Masterline ES (more) energy efficient lamp seems to be only available at 12V. Is this true?

I can't bring myself to go to CFLs now because I want dimmed lighting and neither CFLs or LEDs seem suitable for that right now. But I do want to try to be as energy efficient as possible (which is why I will complement my dimmed halogens with CFLs for when I want the rooms to be bright).

My guess is that as LED technology improves, this is most likely to focus on LV. Do you think I'm right?

Sponsored Links
No. LEDs require so little current its hard to find transformers capable of supplying both them and halogens. The Tx would need a range of 1-55 watts for each fitting, or 5-300 watts for several fittings. Not practical to make Tx's this wide ranging.

Mains LEDs are the future. ;) Since mains GU10s come in CFLs too - I doubt these will make it to a 12v version, since they require a fair wack to get them started, it'd wreck a normal Tx.

Those megaman ones are still switch dimmable ones, rather than ones that dim based on the position of the dimmer like you'd expect.

Regarding the comments on the LED power supplies, the high power emitters are available in 10W and more, so loading shouldn't be a problem. But I'd expect the trend to be replacing these transformers with constant current supplies, rather than trying to cram the regulators into each lamp.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to fit a programmable lighting control system so I won't have conventional light switches, so those Megaman dimmable CFLs aren't any good for me. The system can do FL dimming using 1-10V and a suitable ballast, but I've heard too many negative views about these systems (like level of EMI).

I guess you're probably right that LEDs are the future because the technology is really going fast (I see that organic LED flat panels are likely to replace LCD panels) so the colour, brightness and angle are likely to get sorted out. Maybe you're right that mains will be the future too.

I guess I need to try to future-proof myself then.

Since the most energy-efficient halogens right now are 12V, I'll go with those but group my lamps together and use higher power transformers instead of individual ones, and use 1.5/1.0 mm2 wiring. Since my transformers will be mounted along with the lighting controllers, if mains LEDs come along that can replace my LV halogens, then I just need to remove the transformers.

I think it might work if I can keep the cable runs short enough...

Those megaman ones are still switch dimmable ones, rather than ones that dim based on the position of the dimmer like you'd expect.

[url=http://www.megamanuk.com/products/product.php?sid=1]Megaman website[/url] said:
Create Your Own Ambient Lighting

You can now create ambient lighting anytime and anywhere in an instant with the DorS DIMMING series. Dimming of Megaman energy saving lamps can now be achieved on almost any light or dimmer switch to help you create lighting moods of your choice.

:rolleyes: Did you READ the info in the link? :rolleyes:

[url=http://www.megamanuk.com/products/product.php?sid=1]Megaman website[/url] said:
Create Your Own Ambient Lighting

You can now create ambient lighting anytime and anywhere in an instant with the DorS DIMMING series. Dimming of Megaman energy saving lamps can now be achieved on almost any light or dimmer switch to help you create lighting moods of your choice.

:rolleyes: Did you READ the info in the link? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Did you READ the instructions? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dimming on a Conventional Dimmer
1. Turn the dial fully clockwise until it reaches 100% brightness.
2. To dim, turn dial fully anti-clockwise then clockwise within 3 seconds.
3. Repeat the above action to dim the lamp to the desired brightness level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back