Hanging a mirror on Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I need advise/guidance.

I am looking to hang a mirror approximately 10 - 15kg on a plasterboard/stud wall. Incase I don't find the studs or the mirrors measurement don't land on a stud, I plan on using a wall anchor (shown below).

What worries me, is that the mirror has a D-ring faster behind it (shown in the picture below). Now, I plan to use the screw that arrives with the wall plug or a nail to the wall (if I'm able to find a stud).

Please advise if using that screw will be enough or are there any much better holder one could put on the wall to hold the picture properly?

Don't want the weight of the picture to slip off the nail/screw etc/

Hope I'm explaining it properly.

Cheers in advance and look forward to your response.

Attachments

• HCF110.jpg
    HCF110.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 220
  • ee81a18f-a1ad-4b93-b3cb-c3ac1bef647a_300.jpg
    ee81a18f-a1ad-4b93-b3cb-c3ac1bef647a_300.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
Watch this video from 1:18 to 1:57 to see why you don't want those ones...

...then watch this video for the type of plasterboard fixing which IMHO is much better...

And, as he says, it's much easier to use them with the setting tool and then there's no risk of anything going wrong with them. They can start to rotate before starting to clench up for people not used to these fixings, when trying to just clench them up by screwing them in without having 'set' them first.

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Thanks a million for this. I will have a look at the videos now.

How about the usage of screws though? Is this good enough to hold the mirror (the mirror as the above D rings behind). Would I have to put the screw in at an angle if I can, to give the mirror proper hold? Not sure if screws will be enough holding grip for a heavy mirror.

Please advise.

Thanks.

How about the usage of screws though? Is this good enough to hold the mirror

Think about it like this, that bracket will be attached to the back of the mirror using those two short and fairly thin screws shown in the picture. If those two thin screws can hold the weight of the mirror, then one longer and thicker screw into the wall will be able to hold it easily.

You need to drill a pilot hole where the mirror will be going first. Initially to find out if there happens to be a stud where the mirror will be and if there isn't, you need to know whether it's a single layer of plasterboard (½ inch) or whether it's been double boarded (1 inch), so you can buy the correct version of those fixings in the second video.

Sponsored Links
Much appreciated, really.

Only got kinda worried. Was thinking I had to look for some curved screw to hold that bracket in place - since there could be both outward and downward forces.

Saw the video as well, and you saved me a whole lot of trouble. Will go get the hollow anchor and the setting tool.

Also, please, how do I detect the thickness of the plasterboard? Can't get hold of the land lord. Can't the 1/2 inch hold the mirror?

Last edited:
I don't want to steal Gaz' thunder, but you can only determine what thickness the plasterboard is once its been drilled....1/2" is usual enough and perfectly strong for the hollow wall anchors.
The thing is, if the anchor is designed for thicker material (it tells you on the pack) it won't pull up tight in the hole.
John :)

how do I detect the thickness of the plasterboard?

Like John says, drill into it! I use a 3mm HSS drill bit for pilot/test holes in stud walls. That way, if you do hit a stud, it's the correct diameter pilot drill to just carry on into the stud to pilot drill for a number 8 screw. Only use very light pressure on the drill, if there's no stud there, it will suddenly 'go through' once the drill bit has gone in ½ inch or 1 inch, then you'll know the plasterboard thickness. If you press too hard, when the drill bit 'goes through', the drills' chuck jaws can hit the wall and damage it right where you wanted a secure fixing.

Try to find the stud, as its the strongest anchor point. You can do this by using a strong magnet and run it up and down the wall to find a sub surface plasterboard nail or screw. If no luck with the stud then I tend to use Rawlplug 4All plugs for light to medium fixings and the tool setting metal anchor bolts for heavy items.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back