Hanging kitchen base units so they 'float'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently spoken to a local kitchen supplier and we want to do something a little bit different. We have a run of about 4m base units which we want to attach to the masonry wall to achieve a floating look. We are a bit concerned about the weight of these fully laden with with drawers fully extended etc and were wondering about what would be a robust and heavy duty way of achieving this.

Were not talking about standard 30cm wall units, we want slightly shortened base units perhaps 60cm deep and high, there is also the weight of the worktop and potentially full sink etc to consider. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can post pics of the design if this will help. Cheers

Sponsored Links
you will need specially engineered unit
the strength off a base unit is through the sides to the floor vertically
there is close to nil strength between the back and sides

I would probably have some steel brackets fabricated to bolt to the wall and support the worktop and possibly the base of the units, just doing something similar in a bathroom with floating corian shelves/vanity top and have used unistrut built into the baxing behind.

You can also get the floating look by having say 400mm at the front overhanging and a plinth 200mm from the wall which will take a lot of the weight, then use btackets fixed to the sides of teh carcase to hold it back to the wall, this also gives a void for services. I used this method here, here both support a stone/glass top and basin as well as cupboard/draws.

Jason

I suspected that base units would be designed for vertical weight distribution, I was wondering about perhaps trying to get a deep 'L' shaped steel bracket made for the entire run of the units to attach and rest the bases of the units on. I reckon this might be able to take the weight, but I'm not sure whether it would be free from sagging long term.

Ideally I'd like to avoid any kind of plinth, but thanks for the suggestion. It may well end up a plan B

Sponsored Links
Floating!

Effin bonkers.

Think of all that cleaning for starters, let alone searching for summat lost! :eek: :rolleyes:

Some people.

Did something for a lady who designs kitchens for the Beeb, but used wall units, you could take a base unit and replace the back with rigid mdf back and cut flush to gain some strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back