Hatch door for eaves access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been refinishing my shower room and have to leave access to the eaves where the heating pump etc is.

I am going to make a removable hatch rather than a hinged door. I have good joinery skills but don't know how to do this. There's a huge amount of external door seal types out there. I can do a kerf cut to install these but how should the stops and seals be set up. I won' have a threshold like an external door for example.

Anywhere I'd get a good example to copy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Very simple, it will just be a lay on hatch. You can screw to battens on either side of the hatch slightly wider than the adjoining joists to keep the hatch in place, and place some covered insulation above.

Blup

You could still use the same method.
Adding a stop to the frame to align the door/panel so it is flush with the wall, and possibly using magnetic fasteners to hold it in pace? Or some kind of key, either typical drawer type or meter box style?
Then celotex style foam fixed to the rear of the panel
A bit of decent door draught excluder or a posher D shape seal as used in cars

Sponsored Links
My loft walls are full of 100mm celutex, I cut out section between two vertical timbers then glued on outer insulated plasterboard to create a large “ plug” of insulated plasterboard and added wood architrave to outer edge to hide join. As it’s around 140mm thick it stays in without any fixing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back