Haunching Cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put some haunching on the edge of some pavers where it meets some new gravel I have put down.

Concrete was done on Friday. Just drove over it about 6 times going on and off the drive. Some small cracks have developed where the haunch meets the paver. Do you think this could be because I haven't filled the gaps with kiln sand? Rather than the concrete being weak?

IMAG0871.jpg

Sponsored Links
Haunching is ok for paths and patios but nowhere near strong enough for a block paved drive. You really need a kerb laid on and hauched with concrete.

The halfway house would be to lift the outside few courses and relay them on a 4 inch bed of concrete and haunch them again so it forms a rigid edge. If your actually driving over it a kerb would be much better.

Thanks!

I know that a proper concrete kerb is best practice but I was trying to do something to get me through winter using what materials I had.

I brushed some kiln sand in which helped a little.

I didn't put it in my original post but I did lift all of the edge blocks up and replaced half of the bedding with concrete as well as the haunching.

There is a tiny bit of movement in a couple of the blocks but I will see how long it lasts... And then try again depending how long it lasts...?

Sponsored Links
You really need to at the very least bed the full outside block on concrete. Ideally the outer 2.

Good on you for trying but by bedding half the block on a flexible bed and half on rigid the weight of the car will pop them off the rigid bedding. Once they are loose of the rigid bed they will just get worse and worse as water gets in and washes sand between the block and the concrete.

It will probably last the winter alright though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back