Have I damaged my roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About 6 weeks ago I cleaned the moss off one side of my roof (it has easy access from a flat roof so no hassles with ladders). I used a commercial remover which basically seemed to be bleach and soap which I diluted down as per the instructions and sprayed on.

2 weeks later the moss came off a treat and I was pleased. But I went up today to have a look because one of the gutters were blocked (remainder of the moss that had washed down in the heavy rain) I became concerned at the state of the tiles. [see picture below]

Have I taken the protective coating off of the tiles or had the heavy moss cover already done this? Have I compromised the integrity of my roof? Will it weather back down?

Tiles seem to be concrete with a coloured coating on them.

Feeling a bit jittery about this as I only intended to clean the roof after a nagging from a builder, not ruin it!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It should be OK

The only concerns iI have is people not diluting chemicals enough( though I don't like any chemicals going on roofs to start with) and not washing the roof down.

I would check that bottom tile though. It has dropped so the tile/slate underneath may be broken and in need of replacement.

It should be OK

The only concerns iI have is people not diluting chemicals enough( though I don't like any chemicals going on roofs to start with) and not washing the roof down.

I would check that bottom tile though. It has dropped so the tile/slate underneath may be broken and in need of replacement.

Now I feel stupid because I didn't wash it down! Followed some instructions I found online (can't recall where) which just said spray it on and for maximum effectiveness try to ensure it does't rain for a few days (which would't be consistent with washing it down).

Really feeling I should have got a pro in! I'm not a natural DIY'er.

The gutter was filled with a mush of spongy material which I guess might have been the smaller black litchens/mosses that had covered the roof (all the big stuff had been cleared off already). This will presumably establish itself again with time so the roof will go darker (I hope).

We have some roofers in next month for a separate project so they can look at that tile. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hopefully it will just look a bit crap for a while before it weathers back!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back