Have I done this right, and what else do i need to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have some very old premises which i purchased and refurbed from inside.

The upstairs was not supposed to have been done originally as it was planned for a later date however due to having one access to the building only I thought its wiser if I got the dirty work all out of the way at ones.

Liekwise the upstairs was dot and dabbed and skimmed over really nicely however the window frames looked very tacky (lots of layers of paint on them)

I thought if i was to replace the archatrives and window sills etc it may unveil hidden problems and may cause more of a problem. So I decided to refurb the current ones

So using the heat gun and scraper I stripped the paint off which wasnt difficult but took around 3-4 hours per window (and there are 8 windows in total) as the archatrives had so many curves and edges.

Once done I used around 80 grit sand paper and smoothened the frames.

Now one problem i do have is that being old, a few bits and pieces have chipped off over time and are very noticable. Likewise what could I do to amend this? Do I need to filler with something?

Finally, and the main purpose of this post is, what would be my next step after the sanding stage? Do I undercoat the frames, adjust any abnormalities once the undercoat dries followed by two nice coats of bright white gloss?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Best to use wood filler first then sand that off, then under coat/ primer....and as for gloss this will show up any minor imperfection in the frames, so use satin or even matt to get neat crisp finish you sound like your after. cheers.

You should have asked first. You didn't need to strip the windows. You use the existing paint as a body filler and just give it a good sand down with 80 grit aluminium oxide paper (green stuff) until it is nice and smooth, then you use car body filler with a plastic scraper to fill the chips. Then you sand that down, undercoat and sand lightly with 120 grit, then apply two coats of satinwood (thinned about 5%). If it doesn't look perfect - you've done it wrong.

Dude and Joe, thanks for the replies guys, I forgot about this thread to be honest

Right, can you tell me if im really buggered now?

Ive removed the paint of the frames completely but in all honesty they were bad. I can understand 80 grit sand down but dayum it would have taken for ever to get a result as it had lots of layers of paint and the frames looked as if they had some sort of southern fried batter on them.

Since I am at the stage that i am at i.e. frames to their bare with gaps and holes here and there as well as chipped edges here and there, what would you guys suggest

Sponsored Links
Hello mate. if your after the best finish then just replace the frames. you may spend more time trying to get them looking right than the time it takes to replace them. How are they fixed on? did any nail heads appear when sanding?

Dude they seem very old, No nail heads were exposed when sanding. Bare in mind the frames dont look too bad to be honest. Its just that there are the odd holes here and there where someone may have hit some nails in for god knows what reasons. Generally the frames are good.

Its just the small imperfections im curious about

Get a big tin of car body filler easy sanding from Halfords about £20 and fix everything in sight. I use it all the time.

Joe I have a full bag of easy fill which is going to go to waste. Would that do the job?

No, not for detail stuff. Only body filler works for paint chips and the likes.

Joe they arent really paint chips. They are basically edges of the wood detail broken off or holes where nails or screws once were

Once again it is car body filler. Any imperfection, chipped edges or anything else. Try it. You can build up broken corners and rematch existing patters.

Thanks for that joe, I can get my hands on body filler very easily as I know lots of guys in the trade.

Joe can you recommend me any specific brand of Satinwood in white and furthermore an undercoat to go with it?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back