Heated towel rail - a few quick questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help!

The house I have moved into has no radiator in the bathroom (bbrrrrrrrr!) so I want to fit a heated towel rail, one of the nice chrome ones (like everyone else has - hey, I'm just one of the masses.........)

However, there has been pipework run to the bathroom - coming out the wall with approx 550mm between the 2 pipes. The questions I have are as follows:

1) Does it matter what width HTR I go for, or should I just alter the pipework to fit? Most HTRs seem to be either 500 or 600mm.

2) I believe most HTRs have tappings(?) that run up vertically into the bottom of them - is using straight rad valves the easiest way to go (if I can sort the pipework before the valve) as opposed to fitting angled rad valves? (please excuse my ignorance if i'm mixing my metaphors)

3) Some things I've read in my research before doing it have indicated that you shouldn't put a TRV on a bathroom radiator - is this so, or is it a matter of preference.

4) HTR size - I believe the output is below that of a standard radiator - am I best going for one that has space for towels and will still leave some room for actually heating the room? It's only a small bathroom, but it'd be nice to be warm when you get out the shower for a change......

Just so you know, it's a 3 bed semi- with 7 rads on the system currently, an 8-month old Vailliant Ecotec condensing combi, and no TRV on the hall radiator where the thermostat is (TRVs on all other rads currently fitted).

Thanks again for your help.
Andrew

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly then a TRV is required according to Part L but I think that it is a dumb idea... Just my personal opinion.. The Bowler hats on Bicycles know better than we do..

Just a thought.. Everyone (Nearly) has a towel rail fitted and then insulates the rail with nice white fluffy towels, so how does the bathroom get warm? I would have a radiator installed too.. but if you have a tiny bathroom like mine and there is no room, then go for the biggest towel rail that you can get mine is 600mm x 1900mm because it is difficult to calculate its output given the variables of ladies hanging things on the rail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back