Heating but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in need of help!!
Our boiler is only about 5 years old but suddenly 6 months ago whenever we have the heating on, the bath water is cold. All is fine once the heating has been off for about an hour.

I have a Vaxi Combi Boiler.

We did have a plumber out for a leak dripping out of the boiler but apparently all it needed was a replacement rubber thing (sorry, i'm not very good at this!) & he said this was nothing to do with the hot water problem. I sent him packing as he said he's have to look at the whole boiler system and thought he was trying to rip me off so if anyone can help that would be fantastic???

Sponsored Links
Not being funny, but how do you expect him to trace the fault without looking at the entire system? - guess perhaps?
Why do you think he was trying to rip you off?

If I understand correctly, he found the fault, told you it was minor, and repaired it presumably for a reasonable sum.
He has proven to be able to solve the problem, AND to be honest.
So you sent him packing because.................

Not very clever

Hi

I sent him packing as i'm sure anyone would be suspicious of someone who said they were going to rip the whole boiler apart!!! Otherwise, i'd be getting a new one installed if that was the case so it isnt a case of " pay less, expect monkey's" as someone so nicely put it.

Also, if the problem had been with the leaking seal, which was reparied then i still wouldn't have the problem.

Thanks fella's for your comments but i didn't ask for critisim or verbal abuse, just someone who maybe knew what the problem was???

Sponsored Links
Guess the guy didnt expect you to through him out and accuse him of being a rip of merchant either.

con-artists, the lot of 'em.
and not only plumbers, garages as well.
brought my motor in the other day as it sometimes stalls, and they would not say anything without opening the bonnet.

good for you, that you did not let him take you for a ride; everybody knows that vailant combis only have one problem if they not work properly

Thanks fella's for your comments but i didn't ask for critisim or verbal abuse, just someone who maybe knew what the problem was???

You came on here to ask for help, and the guys were honest with you, in the slightly blunt but accurate style typical of knowledgeable engineers. Refusing your engineer access to the boiler wasn't the smartest thing to do, although you did it for good reason, as you saw it at the time.

But what's done is done and it's now a case of 'where do we go from here'. Your boiler isn't going to fix itself, and to diagnose the fault will involve some dismantling, testing, logical deduction, probably more testing and logical deduction, etc until the fault is identified. A boiler is a complex thing, and if you want it fixed, you're going to have to trust someone who knows how to fix it.

The question then is how to find someone trustworthy. Probably the best way is to ask around friends, family and acquaintances for recommendations. Another way is to search the CORGI website for engineers in your area - you can also check whether someone is registered before you employ them. There's always the chance of getting a duffer, but it's the same throughout life, there's cowboy garages, builders, dentists, doctors, vets whatever.

Lecture over, and hope you get it all sorted out

Mogget.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back