Heating control automation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2x 2kW Dimplex Mk1 oil filled rads and 3 x 1kW Mk1 rads. I saw a couple of videos on youtube about keeping heating running on 24/7 during the winter period and I liked the theory of letting the rads keeping the house at a regular temp so gave it a go for a month. Yes the house was comfortable (not hot) 24/7 but for my situation I was using about 70+ units a day! - Mainly overnight.

I have put hard wired timers on all the electric points for the heaters which have saved about 20 units a day.

I was wondering how feasible using 13A PIR sensors would be. Say one in each room with an on time for say 1 hour so when someone came into that room that rooms heating will be started for a minimum of 1 hour therefore only the occupied rooms would be heated. The only downside I can see is the room will be cold to start with but maybe switching to convection heaters would reduce the discomfort as they are very quick at generating heat compared to the oil filed rads- just an idea

Sponsored Links
Lots of things are possible ! Really it's down to your imagination.
One possible compromise that comes to mind is to combine the two - have the oil filled rads on timers and set to a lower output. This will take the chill off the rooms. Then have convectors on either separate switches (which you'll forget to turn off) or on occupancy sensors (which will turn off if you are sat quietly watching TV but stay on after you've left the room).

I assume electric is your only option ? It's the most expensive one.

Also, at the risk of sounding sexist, is there a Mrs Amtrakuk ? Reason I ask is that, against it'll sound sexist but is based on years of observation, I've found that most members of the fairer sex struggle to understand the concept of the thermostat. The times I've tried to explain that turning the thermostat all the way up doesn't make the room heat any faster - only heat it at the same rate but then overheat it and waste energy while making them uncomfortable.
Trying to get others to "buy in" to a "complicated" system can be hard :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Also, at the risk of sounding sexist, is there a Mrs Amtrakuk ? Reason I ask is that, against it'll sound sexist but is based on years of observation, I've found that most members of the fairer sex struggle to understand the concept of the thermostat. The times I've tried to explain that turning the thermostat all the way up doesn't make the room heat any faster - only heat it at the same rate but then overheat it and waste energy while making them uncomfortable.
Trying to get others to "buy in" to a "complicated" system can be hard :rolleyes:

Thanks... No my o/h works shifts so the house is generally occupied in one way or another 24/7 hence wanting some system that works best for that situation.

Ideally using the heaters as and when you enter a room for a period of time would be best however I am rubbish at remembering to turn them off

The regime I used to have was to use convector heaters on thermostat on an as and when basis but changing to oil filled rads allowed the regime to slip on the basis that they took a lot longer to heat up and actually start heating the room so mainly left them on.

I have ordered a few 16 amp PIRs from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251438050652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 with the thought of using them with a convection heater (stat set) and a delay of half an hour I'm hoping will be a lot more hassle free

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back