Heating flow and return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed my bathroom radiator ages ago, leaving pipes and identical valves in place, but without noting which was flow and return. Having re-fitted the bathroom, I now want to install a replacement radiator. With most rads in my house I could feel the temperature difference on flow and return pipes but the bathroom pipes are at the end of a run and I can't tell the difference. Is there a dodge for this that doesn't involve holes in floors or ceilings?

Sponsored Links
Fit the radiator and then turn some of the other rads off and you will soon see which pipes are the flow and return.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. If I was simply leaving the existing pipes & valves in place it wouldn't matter too much. However, I'm fitting a bigger fancy column rad and a TRV. 1st - I've presumed a TRV needs to be on the flow end - now I've seen replies to similar topics which suggest TRV could be on either flow or return. 2nd - the rad instructions strongly recommend that air vent is at the return end.
This rad has a fixed blank so if I fit it wrongly I'll have to drain down to correct. I'm a bit of a novice + it's too darn cold to be without heating for long. Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I think I've got it sorted. There is one rad beyond the tee's that I am looking at. Turned off pump to let pipes get cold, then opened that rad and turned on the pump just long enough to fill the flow side with hot but leaving the return side cold. Then drained some water from each of the valves where my b/room rad used to be. Much hotter water from one side. I'll try to connect tomo and hope I've got it right. This would probably only work when there is something beyond or very close to the affected pipework. Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back