Heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just hoping you can shed some light on my situation I've got a old fired heat only boiler basic just a summer valve and a 2 prt motorised valve.

I've remedied so many problems already I've had a new motorised valve and taken the expansion tank out in the loft to take away the airlock on the cold feed problem and fitting an expansion vessel to make the heating pressurised.

Now before all this I had no heating now I have heating just upstairs and nothing downstairs tried to turn off and force it down but the pipe on the flow by the trv gets red hot but won't go into the radiator.

Any ideas to solve this problem with it getting even colder now

Sponsored Links
Check if the pin under the TRV is free to move.

If it is then it sounds like blocked or badly sludged pipework/rads

I would be checking the pump. It may still be spinning but possibly very weakly. The end result is heated water rising upstairs but struggling to get to the downstairs radiators. While pump is running put a cloth under it and undo the big slotted screw on the front. Try stopping the impeller with a screwdriver. If you can stop it then it needs replacing. If it just repels the screwdriver then it's probably ok and I would be looking for other causes of poor circulation such as sludge build up. Did you flush the system when converting to sealed/pressurised?

Sponsored Links
Yes pump operations fine and yes it wash flushed when swapping too pressurised.

I opted for repiping downstairs drops to 15mm but still only get hot not as hot as the rest if them do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back