Heating problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Nothing major this but more of an anoyance!
We live in a detached 6 bedroom house which has 17 radiators, 10 upstairs and 7 downstairs.
We have a gravity fed system, tank in airing cupboard, boiler in the utility. Its a Baxi boiler, behind the lower cover there's a plate that says wm 60/3rs. I think its the original boiler which would make it about 20 years old.

The main problem is downstairs the radiators in the lounge and dinning room get very warm but not super hot. These are large rooms and we struggle to get them comfortable warm. If I go upstairs and turn 3 or 4 radiatrs completely off, then the radiators in the lounge and dinning room are virtually untouchable and heat the rooms lovely.

I've bled the all the radiators, and theres no air in them. The heating system was flushed through about 2 year ago.

An extension was built about 10 years ago above the garage, increasing it from a 4 bed to a 6 bed and the addition of 2 large radiators.

Are we just asking too much of the old boiler as in every other respect she's brilliant!

Any help much appreciated

Zeb.

Sponsored Links
your boiler will give you 60000 btus.17 rads may exceed this.try balancing in faqs above.

Thanks, i'll have a read about balancing and see what happens. If we were thinking of a new boiler at some point what would you recommend? I don't want a combi, as this set up has been so trouble free.

Sponsored Links
You need to work out the heat output from all your rads and this will give you the size of the boiler.

A guide would be about 24Kw.

It could just be that your pump is 'tired' and not circulating properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back