heatproof radiator overflow tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to remove most of the radiators from my system which is heated from the back of a solid fuel stove. I will be leaving the coil to the bottom of the hot water tank, and a medium single bathroom radiator in the system (removing the equivalent of 4 large single radiators). I am warned I need to take preventative measures in case the back boiler overheats. There is already an expansion tank attached to the hot water tank which was fitted when I had a solar water panel fitted. There is also an overflow tank in the loft which has a feed pipe from the current radiator system falling into it. I have been warned that because it is plastic, the overheated (boiling!) water might cause this loft tank to melt. I have searched everywhere for something which isn't plastic, but no luck. Any ideas? Can I replace the overflow tank with another expansion tank? Is there a fibreglass/galvanised overflow tank available which I haven't been able to locate?

Sponsored Links
We looked everywhere for one of these when we were putting right another contractor's fuel burning stove efforts while installing an oil boiler.

I looked at ones from Stoves Online, but they were too wide, being made from unvented cylinder shells as far as I could see, and expensive.

So we had one made up in stainless by Aitchee Engineering, of East Grinstead, with all the holes prepunched, to our layout. Add a Copper float valve and job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back