Heatrae Sadia Megaflo hot water contamination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have deposits In the hot water inlet filters to showers, taps etc. From what I read on other posts it looks like limescale but the water is very soft here. Kettle never needs descaling for example. I have attached a photo of the shower hot and cold inlet filters, any clues out there? The tank is 16 years old and I’m afraid it may need to be replaced. I’ve checked the warranty but it only seems to cover corrosion, which is not the problem.
I’m getting good at cleaning the filters every few months but I shouldn’t have to do that. Someone mentioned installing a hot outlet filter?
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 290108D7-A916-4DA5-B9E2-85DA6B2243C7.jpeg
    290108D7-A916-4DA5-B9E2-85DA6B2243C7.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 75
  • F8FB2D86-6AF4-4A2D-8E9D-C9E717C1402F.jpeg
    F8FB2D86-6AF4-4A2D-8E9D-C9E717C1402F.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The long and the short of it is that certainly is the internal bubble baffle breaking down. Yes you could fit a strainer on the outlet of the cylinder with valves either side to allow it to be easily serviced but that's a bit of a fudge and the cylinder will only get worse. It will need an external EV too at some point once the baffle degrades beyond the point of being able to hold the air bubble properly

It is a known issue with the older Megaflo's and they have replaced them in the past. No harm in getting in touch with them and see what they have to say but @ 16yrs and without a service history, you may struggle to get them to replace it under warranty.

Andrew, did you get anywhere or just have to replace the unit? Can you give me an idea of price if you have replaced it

Sponsored Links
Andrew, did you get anywhere or just have to replace the unit? Can you give me an idea of price if you have replaced it
Chap hasn't been on since oct 2022, so doubt you'll get an answer, one reason it's a site rule that old posts shouldn't be resurrected.

If you are getting those deposits/bits in your HW supply/filters/taps then the baffle inside the unit is breaking down, if you can make a good case to Heatrae they have been know to replace the units FOC. Swapping out is down to you though. Inline filters in the HW supply are pointless as you'll spend as much time cleaning them out as you will using the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back