height of sockets above kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm just about to install my kitchen and wondered if there was a standard height that the sockets should be above the worktops??

Cheers

Kev

Sponsored Links
I used to say 150mm but I've been told 200 is better. I've forgotten why :oops:

you need enough space that they will not get damp when wiping down the worktop and the flex is not squashed.

I see you are in Scotland.

Centred to the bit between work top and wall unit base looks best :D .

A floor unit is what? 875mm plus worktop 40mm (some are thinner) and then half of what the height between worktop and wall unit is.

I know a kitchen fitter would argue standard height for a wall unit, but it does vary.

Tile design and height of occupants can adjust the height, although the minute you have a full length unit cupboard the gap becomes predetermined

Add the legs on to the attached table for true height and remember the worktop depth for true centre, or the best position for tile size and tile cut reduction

height02.gif

height01.gif

Sponsored Links
Are you going to tile the wall? If you are, work out where the joint lines will be before you start. I always try to centre sockets both horizontally and vertically on joint lines. I do this for two reasons:

1) I like things to look symmetric.

2) Cutting a socket shaped hole in the middle of a tile is a mug's game.

Centred to the bit between work top and wall unit base looks best :D .

IMO they look more sensible nearer the worktop, at a convenient height for the kettle and toaster :)

very good idea about the tiles

put them off centre vertically nothing looks worse than rifle sighted tiles

IMO they look more sensible nearer the worktop, at a convenient height for the kettle and toaster :)
That'll be about half-way then, unless you want to scrabble around behind appliances like that to get to the sockets...

Just looked at mine.

Worktop to cupboard gap 610mm.

Sink side of kitchen 1 socket, centred 480mm above the worktop, which is really cool because the microwave is there, so the socket remains accessible.

Other side the sockets are centred 300mm above the worktop - looks OK to me.

Normally I fit kitchen sockets to 1100mm above finished floor level.

They end up about 150mm above the worktop if a standard kitchen is installed.

thanks for the help guys 150mm seems to come up very often when iv been looking for the info

im going for 10x20cm tiles and as the kitchen is a bare shell its hard to work out exactly where to put the sockets in relation to where the tiles will be, need to keep the fingers crossed i don't make the tilers job to hard, done my best so far to make life easy for the other trades so don't want to upset the last one in lol

Kev :D

the bottom of the bottom tile will be on the worktop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back