HELP: Advice re: Greenstar CDi combi boiler/radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a new Greenstar CDi combi boiler fitted last year. We have radiators with thermostatic control valves fitted on to all but 2 (hall and bathroom rad/towel heater)

We have NO roomstat anywhere in the house.

The boiler has a knob for the central heating numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6 and MAX.

The rads have valves 1-5 heat settings.

What's the most economical way to run the central heating?

A) Turn the boiler up to MAX and turn the rads down to 1 or 2

B) Turn the boiler down to 2 or 3 and the rads UP to 4 or 5.

The booklet we have states that A. is the most economical but it talks about having a room stat. This is the wording:

"CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEMS WITH ROOM THERMOSTATS/THERMOSTATIC RADIATOR VALVES:

THE CENTRAL HEATING CONTROL ON THE BOILER SHOULD BE SET TO THE MAXIMUM RATED TEMPERATURE OF THE CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM.

THE TEMPERATURE OF EACH ROOM CAN BE SET INDIVIDUALLY (EXCEPT PRIMARY ROOM ROOM WITH THE ROOM THERMOSTAT) USING THE THERMOSTATIC RADIATOR VALVES"

We don't have a room stat anywhere, so does this apply to us?

Sorry for the thicko question, I'm only used to a room stat to control the heating , we moved here 2 years ago and it's all new to me!!!! HELP!!

Sponsored Links
The most economical way will be to have a room stat fitted in the hall as the boiler will be on constantly if you don't monitor it. :(

The most economical way will be to have a room stat fitted in the hall as the boiler will be on constantly if you don't monitor it. :(

Oh! :(

The boiler isn't firing up much and it reaches the desired temperature very quickly. I thought as it wasn't firing up much it wasn't using as much gas.
I'm confused now! :rolleyes: :LOL:

how does it know when to come on...ie does it come on in the summer as well as now ? or do you do it manually ?

You can get a rf digistat for around £120...diy job to fit

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the benchmark sheet first, and see if says there is a roomstat. If so, installer apparently forgot to stick it in and you can call him back to do it.
Did it say in the quote that a roomstat would be supplied? Kind of compulsory. what did you ask to get done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back