Help: can you identify what this is on my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I came home to a strange ring on my wall yesterday and am hoping somebody can help identify what is causing this. My first guess is that it is damp but it looks different to the usual signs of damp as the middle part seems unaffected and it is only the outer ring that seems to be affected.

For additional info, this is a new extension wall that was put up around two years ago. There are no pipes or plumbing behind the plasterboard. On the other side of the wall, there is a neighbour’s garden shed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Attachments

• 411F04AF-6C56-457D-B4C6-6F71F32A0371.jpeg
    411F04AF-6C56-457D-B4C6-6F71F32A0371.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 9E872000-B123-4B75-89E3-780C3F1A3D61.jpeg
    9E872000-B123-4B75-89E3-780C3F1A3D61.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
A repaired hole in the plasterboard?

Ask your builder.

Somebody, during the build, had a need to gain access behind the plasterboard, and so cut a hole. What you see, is the repaired hole.

Sponsored Links
Somebody, during the build, had a need to gain access behind the plasterboard, and so cut a hole. What you see, is the repaired hole.
This has only just suddenly appeared ?
Thank you all for the responses.

The markings just appeared over the past couple of days. If the plasterboard was cut out, would you expect the markings to appear two tears from the time it was built? Also, the paint on the outer ring (but not the inside area of the ring) is slightly damp. Is this something to be concerned about?

Also, for additional info in case helpful, the wall consists of insulation between two layers of concrete blocks, with another layer of plasterboard and paint.

I spoke to a builder friend who said it was unusual for damp to appear like this as either side of the fine line is dry. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts if you have seen something similar before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back