Help choosing boiler??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some help. I've just moved into a 4-bedroom 1930's semi-detached house. I currently have a 20 year old Gloworm boiler sited in a kitchen cupboard with a half-sized tank in the bathroom.

My problem is that we are changing the layout of the kitchen and will get the boiler updated at the same time. But what to? The house has 1 bathroom and radiators in all rooms. We are a family with 2 young kids.

a) combi boiler - we seem to have low water pressure (but there is a water softener fitted and not sure if this affects our pressure). Previous experience with combi boiler was not great i.e. low water flow when running bath, didn't like not being able to use 2 water sources simultaneously.

b) combi boiler with storage tank - plumber has suggested that these are huge things and will take up too much room

c) pressurised system with boiler in kitchen or utility room - but no room for full-sized tank where the half-sized tank currently stands. This is our favourite idea. Could rejig bathroom to put an airing cupboard where gravity fed shower stands. We're looking to redo bathroom in a year or 2 when we've saved some more pennies.

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Hi
What would you do?

I would ask people who's judgement I trust to recommend an appropriately qualified and experienced installer to visit and have a leisurely discussion over a pot of tea and biscuits so that he/she is fully aware of what you want from an upgrade.

Then, ask for a detailed specification and fixed quote for the agreed work.

This approach will I am sure end in smiles all round.

DH

Or, you can get Gritish Bas in..........

Shame you are at the wrong side of the country, or I would be round first call tomorrow :LOL:

Hi
What would you do?

I would ask people who's judgement I trust to recommend an appropriately qualified and experienced installer to visit and have a leisurely discussion over a pot of tea and biscuits so that he/she is fully aware of what you want from an upgrade.
+1
Nail on head.
Nobody can give accurate advice better than the guy who has seen it.
Forget about sussing everything out yourself, you can't. Spend all your energy of finding a good guy, and let him get on with it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back