Help - Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have one day to fix this as I'm moving house on Tuesday.

In my living room are some 50w halogen downlights that are too close to the joists in the ceiling. When we first moved in I noticed this when redecorating so I just disconnected them to avoid any problems. I always intended to remove the downlights and get the ceiling skimmed.

And two days before someone new moves in I have just remembered :(

The way I see it I have two options:

- Very quickly (tomorrow) find alternative fittings that are safe up against a wooden joists.

or

- Leave them disconnected and make it clear to the new owner why they're disconnected and obviously not reconnect them. There's a five-amp circuit in the room for table lamps anyway which makes for much nicer lighting.

Do low heat downlights even exist? Have spent time researching online but it's really not clear - some commentary suggests that LED or fire rated downlights might be suitable but other commentary contradicts this.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How close to the joists are we talking? Because LED will still dissipate some heat into the joists. Not as much as a 50w halogen obviously but still not a catch-all solution

some commentary suggests that LED or fire rated downlights might be suitable
LEDs emit less heat than halogen but that doesn't automatically make them suitable for installation next to a joist.
Fire rated items are for reducing the spread of fire when the room below is already filled with flames. Unrelated to positioning next to joists or anything else.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - a couple are right up against the joists. I will leave them disconnected and advise the new owner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back