Help. flooded kitchen with Washing M/C - can't clear block

you dont want to connect the washing machine hose to the upstand with a jubilee clip as it needs to be vented to empty properly, one thing to try which is a bit of a pain but could work, disconnect the waste pipe at the copper pipe again, turn off water at washing machine valve, disconnect the cold hose from the back of the washing machine push down waste pipe and turn on,( unless you have a spare hose, if so leave connected to back of machine and fit spare hose to washing machine valve) be ready to turn off if any back flow, but this mains flow should give a good indication if pipe is clear or not

Sponsored Links
Hi Kirkgas

I put the garden hose down the waste pipe at full flow last night and no water came back up. Would this not be the same as putting the cold water hose from the washing m/c v/v down the pipe? Sorry for this stupid question :oops: , if they give too different types of water pressure, then accept my apologies for doubting.

Also, before the upstand was put in, there was a fitting directly under the sink with two outlets. One for the washing m/c and one for the dishwasher. Did this work because the m/c could vent through the sink? If it did, could I go back to this method and remove the upstand?

If I ever get a block again, I do not want this to happen.

I thought that we shared our drains with our neighbour. But it looks like we all have separate drains in our drives and the previous owner has put slabs and stones over them - what a nightmare this is turning into.

Thanks again.

Fluff

Everyone else is getting thanked except me - it's not fair :cry:

Anyway, op, I suggested to you some time ago that you should remove the upstand and reseal the connection point, and return the washing machine outlet to the spigots at the waste trap, and provided you with reasons for it.

If water is flowing through the waste pipe via the hose, then it's fair to assume that you've got rid of the blockage and know how to do it again should it reoccur. Lucky it wasn't anything to do with the outside drainage after all by the sound of it

So, I'm sulking now and never want to speak to you again :mad: ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Dextrous. Dextrous, Dextrous. I thought it was only women that sulking. :LOL: You are going to get the biggest thanks of all. If it wasn't for your first lots of advice then I still have a blocked pipe.

I have definately cleared the blockage. Put washing m/c back on twice last night via the upstand working great. I will continue with weekly flushes with the soda crystals.

Back to you advice re the upstand. I agree totally with you. Will I be able to get an outlet with 2 spigots at a plumbers merchant? Only had 1 spigot fittings at B&Q and the plumber disposed of my old outlet (which I think was not really suitable as it was taped up, etc).

Also, what was kirkgas meaning when he said I shouldn't put a connector on the top of the upstand with the washing m/c hose? My other option was to keep the upstand, put a screwed connector on the top and then put an inlet adaptor on with the hose jubilee clipped to it. Thought this might have been easier than taking out the upstand and fitting another outlet.

Thanks again Dextrous and I'm hoping that you reply to my questions above as I have honestly valued your advice.

Dextrous. Dextrous, Dextrous. I thought it was only women that sulking. :LOL: You are going to get the biggest thanks of all. If it wasn't for your first lots of advice then I still have a blocked pipe.
Sweet talker ;)

Back to you advice re the upstand. I agree totally with you. Will I be able to get an outlet with 2 spigots at a plumbers merchant? Only had 1 spigot fittings at B&Q and the plumber disposed of my old outlet (which I think was not really suitable as it was taped up, etc).
Should be able to get one - although if you have a problem sourcing it then you could get one with one spigot and use a tee with another attached to this. See http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101958/Plumbing/Wastes-and-Traps for some of the available outlets.
Also, what was kirkgas meaning when he said I shouldn't put a connector on the top of the upstand with the washing m/c hose? My other option was to keep the upstand, put a screwed connector on the top and then put an inlet adaptor on with the hose jubilee clipped to it. Thought this might have been easier than taking out the upstand and fitting another outlet.
I can't see a problem with your proposed method. I think kirkgas was worried about the water seal within the upstand's trap being sucked out, thus allowing foul air to escape into the room. If it is sealed, as you intend, then this shouldn't be a problem. To be honest, it's probably an easier solution rather than trying to squeeze an extra spigot under the sink somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back