Help for loft conversion...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just needed help understanding the drawings, looking to DIY this myself..

Also anybody who has done loft conversions and has work of their structural work please do upload for me to see. Also anybody know when to call building control at which stage?

Questions:

1. According to this drawing i would require 2 beams correct? 1 for ridge and 1 for the new floor but what about the other side of the floor? how will it "hang".
2. The dormer wooden wall is build up from the beam correct with the roof beams coming from the ridge steel to new structure frame?
3. What type of wood would i need? drawings say that the floor joist are 150mm x 50mm 45cc

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.46.47.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.43.59.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.46.47.png Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.43.59.png Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.43.42.png Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 08.43.00.png

Sponsored Links
Sorry,
Edit:
Question 2:

What will the dormer be sitting on? the drawing is showing no steel beam. Also whats the sort of side of the wood used for the dormer build

Sponsored Links
I like the detail of Beam 4, and the uneven loading of Beam 3. The builders will have fun.

I like the detail of Beam 4, and the uneven loading of Beam 3. The builders will have fun.

Could you explain further by what you mean?

What would a typical loft conversion beams spec be? or layout so i can speak to him about it

Beam 4 is a thermal bridge. Beam three is loaded off centre, and it should not be.

The drawings don't match the text in many parts, and the drawings don't even match how the thing will or can be built.

On the pitched roof, the insulation does not match the rafter depth with no reason why, and the text pointing to it describes a floor and ceiling.

The drawings are poor to say the least. You should not need to be asking here how to construct the conversion when it should be clearly detailing in those drawings. A builder will be charging you extra trying to work it out, and even more when he finds that the thing can't actually be built as drawn.

The plan drawer will have to answer those questions in your OP as they will be based on his design, not what someone else thinks will do

What's his refund policy?

Beam 4 is a thermal bridge. Beam three is loaded off centre, and it should not be.

The drawings don't match the text in many parts, and the drawings don't even match how the thing will or can be built.

On the pitched roof, the insulation does not match the rafter depth with no reason why, and the text pointing to it describes a floor and ceiling.

The drawings are poor to say the least. You should not need to be asking here how to construct the conversion when it should be clearly detailing in those drawings. A builder will be charging you extra trying to work it out, and even more when he finds that the thing can't actually be built as drawn.

The plan drawer will have to answer those questions in your OP as they will be based on his design, not what someone else thinks will do

What's his refund policy?

I will speak to him today and get the building control plans, this was the "proposed plan layout" maybe simplified. I would say there are 2 beams on floor level for the new floor and then 1 in the ridge beam to start off the new dormer... Not sure what this is suggesting unless either side of the floor there is 8x2 rafters laying flat on top of each other tripled up to make a beam?

I can only see 2 beams, where is beam 1 and 2?

I also have plans drawn up, with 2 beams plus a flitch beam, no ridge beam as i will have a partition wall in the loft in the middle.

Plus you need more spec like insulation, joist details, fire alarm, etc.

Last edited:
Frankly the drawings are terrible and the kinds of questions you are asking leads me to conclude that, if you are intent on DIYing (and there’s nothing necessarily wrong with that) you should get yourself a really good set of clear drawings from someone else making it clear you need everything well detailed because you’re a novice. And ditch this pile of crap you have been given. There are so many errors and information missing it would take us a couple of hours to list everything missing or wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back